Itchy Eyes

I have had horribly itchy eyes for months now. I even had to go to the ER one morning because I felt like I might scratch my eyes out it was so bad! Both the dr and I assumed it was allergies & I have a presription for allergy eye drops, but I can't use them as often as I need to. I am afraid now that it might be something else.
Should I see a general practitioner or go straight to the eye doctor?

shareleann

Asked by shareleann at 6:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Health

• Do you have any other allergy symptoms? I always had horribly itchy eyes, even when using allergy eye drops. I started getting allergy shots a couple of years ago & now I have no issues with my eyes any more. If you do have other allergy symptoms, I would say to go see an allergist. If not, definitely see the eye doctor. Good luck - I know how irritating this is :(
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:14 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The regular doctor,see what he says.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• While your waiting to see your regular Doctor you could also try an oral anti-histimine like Claritin, Allegra or Zyrtec and treat the allergy systemically as well. Then Start using the drops as directed - they aren't going to help if you don't follow the instructions!

That is usually the only allergy symptom I get (mild, yet annoying) and the Allegra or Claritin works great for me.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2011