How do you increase your milk supply?

My baby is in the NICU. I am pumping every 3hrs and i produce about 20ml per breast. My baby is eating 30ml every 3 hrs and they are raising the dosage 5ml every 12hrs until he gets to 45ml. i want to keep up with the demand and make at least 30ml per breast. instead of only pumping for 15-20min, i pump for 30min hoping i would get more, but i dont. should i start pumping every 2hrs for 15min again to see if that increases my demand? what did you do?

MamaSince2005

Asked by MamaSince2005 at 7:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, increase the frequency. This mimics waht a baby would naturally do to increase your milk supply, YOu can also get Mother's Milk Tea to help increase your supply, Another trick that I have heard of is to smell one of your babies blankets while pumping.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 8:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Have a picture of your baby in front of you, drink a lot of water, relax and try more frequently.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Honestly, when my Dd was going through a growth spurt, she'd eat every hour on the hour for a day or two, then she'd go back to eating every few hours after that. So pumping every hour for a day or two would probably increase milk supply in the same way.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 9:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• go to target or walmart to get the mother's tea and drink it couple of times per day. Also drink a lot of water, milk or soup will help. Also, try not to be too stress.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Pump more often. At least every two hours. Hope you make it out of NICU soon!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• thanks, i'm pumping every 2 hours now. i know that will probably take about a day and a half til i get engorged again.
    MamaSince2005

Comment by MamaSince2005 (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2011