Anyone know about Military medical discharge?

My boyfriend had what should have been a simple procedure done over a year ago. At that time they cut into a nerve which causes pain with every step he takes. During the "healing" time for that, another medical issue occured. They couldn't figure it out and loaded him up with several different drug regimines. They started injecting him with stuff which didn't work. Then they told him he required surgery. At first he refused, hoping they'd let him out on the first injury and he could seek a specialist. The surgeon told him there was a 40% chance it would even work and he was very worried after his first experience. They then told him he had to do it or they'd keep him in and send him back to full duty. The man can't walk normal, let alone march or run! The thought of going to Afghanastan like this scared the crap out of all of us. So he had the surgery and now a couple months later he's in horrible pain all the time. The doctor signed his release, but it's not moving through his chain of command. It's been 2 months, I know it takes time but he needs real medical care. They aren't treating him for pain or physical therapy or anything. They have him working 60+ hours a week like this. Anyone know an average timeline or something that can be done to speed this up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• My husband is in the process of getting a medically discharge. IT IS A LONG ASS PROCESS once you get started. As for your situation, I am not sure what can be done. I know that to move my husband's case along was that his surgeon gave him paper work saying his injury was permanent. Good luck but be prepared for a long drawn out process that takes over a year usually.
    JimsWife08

Answer by JimsWife08 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It takes a long time I am afraid. If he is seeking a medical discharge, there are steps like a medical board, LIMDU, etc before he will even be considered for a discharge. From my experience with dealing with military medicine as active duty, veteran, spouse, you all NEED to be your own advocate for getting the proper treatment. There is no siting around and letting him suffer or go without treatment. You have to put your foot down and be very vocal about what you want. Otherwise he is just another number and they will treat him as such.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2011