Honest question...please explain

Ok, I am honestly trying to understand this.
Why do so many of you have a problem with children being taught that there are more than two genders (since gender and sex are not the same thing)?
Why do you have a problem with 'genderbending' and gender roles being 'violated'?
Why do you have a problem with alternative lifestyles being something that some people choose being taught to children?

If you can think of a better section for this to be under let me know or move it yourself. Thanks!

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 8:59 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Becuase when that child grows up to be confused and then takes that frustration out, it will be our children having to deal with it !

We live in a small community and there is a family like that ( kind of like that family that was on YAHOO news) ... they let their children chose what they want to be ( boy or girl) , if they want to cut their hair, if they want the bathe, etc....

I am not saying it is wrong to let a little girl dress like a boy and play sports because my daughter does... and my little boy often has his toenails painted ( he wants them done when he sees me doing it ) .... but my little girl is in fact a girl and my little boy is in fact a boy... Thety are told they are a girl and boy, and I think that is how they should be, or else when they get to school and learn the parts of the body they will be confused. *continued*
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Because God made man and woman. To reproduce and to compliment each other. If we were supposed to bend the genders, our body parts would be more similar than they are. The biggest problem is, it isn't just people teaching their own children, they are pushing this to be taught in schools, so it's not a handful of children, it's entire schools that are being told that "this is right." I'm tired of this stuff being shoved down my throat. I don't care what you do behind your bedroom door, but I don't need to hear about it and neither do my children. Since when did being man or woman and straight become the wrong thing to do? It's like this, if you think it's wrong to teach a child in school that being gay is wrong, then why is it ok to teach a child that being straight is wrong? We were made different for many different reasons.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Because there aren't more than 2 genders. Try putting a question mark in the gender space on a government form and see how far it gets you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I don't think this is something that needs to be taught until it comes up in their world,like a kid at school is transgendered for example.
    these aren't subjects that need to be addressed with the birds and bees talk
    Mexish72

Answer by Mexish72 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The family who chose that lifestyle for their children,... just because they say they are all about no choices -- well they are actually making a big one that is probably affecting the child more than a " regular" way.

I remember about 6 or 7 years ago at the park my kids were playing with their little boy -- who at the time was wearing a dress ... i of course said something that refered to him as HER, the mom got pissed...
    Today that child has been kicked out of school SEVERAL times for bad behavior and has been in trouble ( by the law) for trying to force himself on boys and girls, and is now in a school that deals with bad behavior ...

I am not saying that is directly because of that lifestyle, but obviously has some bearing on it, since his younger sister who is only 8 has also been is some of the same trouble.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:14 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• ALSO.. I wanted to add just, because i dont agree with the parenting choices in where the parents thinks its ok to confuse the child with what gender they are ( because they are in fact born as one or the other) ... that doesnt mean I am against people who are gay or transgendered.... If one of my children told me when they were older that they were gay or think they are in the wrong body - i would happily accept that. there is a difference.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:17 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Atap – I will concede for right now that God made two different SEXES. However, that does not mean he made only two GENDERS. Gender isn’t about body parts. And what is wrong with it being addressed in school? They aren’t shoving it down your throat that this is how you must live. They are just presenting it as something that some people do. Just because something is taught does not mean it is right like you seem to think. Teaching that some live in homosexual relationships does not mean that they are endorsing homosexual relationships and condemning heterosexual relationships. It just means they are teaching that there are options.

Scoutmom – I have yet to come across a government form that asks for my gender. They all ask for my sex.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I schools have too much parenting power as it is. I will teach my children about these things. I do not need anyone else trying to do my job.

I want the schools to teach english, math, history, science.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I agree with Ochsamom; there are some things that's on the parents to teach, not the schools.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I dont understand why we need to teach tolerance to each and every thing specifically, with details and political leaning. Do some parents believe that transgender and gay is wrong (due to religion or whatever) and teach their children that? Yes. And It's their right. Is it ok for them to be UGLY to those children/people? NO! But it's not ok to be ugly/mean/hateful to ANYONE. Not JUST the gay/lesbian/transgender ect ect kid but the kid whose PARENTS are those things, the kid who was born with unfortunate features, the kid who has ADDHD and cant control themselves, the autistic kid that acts differently, the downs syndrome kid, the kid that bought the wrong damn pair of shoes because his parents couldnt afford any other kind! I want to know where the hell the idea came into play that the ONLY kids who are EVER picked on are the gay/transgender/ ect ect kids! teach ONE class on tollarence to ALL and be DONE.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2011