When Do You Think Its a Good Idea To Have Another Child?

How close in age are your children? and when do you think its a good idea to add a new little one to the family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine are 8, 3, 2, and 1. The ones closer in age get along better, my oldest dd is a big helper, but gets bored sometimes.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Mine are 1,3 and 5. They get along as well as any kids that close in age...they fight,but they have eachother backs..my 1 yo and 5 yo get along the best. but my 5yo is a little mommy and loves to help and take care of her lilttle brother...I think 3 yr apart would have been best looking back on it now.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I knew I was only having two children, so I put a lot of thought into this and decided to have mine 2-3 years apart. (can't do it exactly any amount cuz you don't choose when you pregnant). We started trying when dd was 20 months old and she'll be 2.5 when she gets her little brother.
    But to each their own. I didn't enjoy being so close to my sister growing up. We were less then two years apart. And my older sister was too much older then me at nearly four years, so I chose based off my own family history. My mom had eight kids and the closest of the bunch while growing up were two to three years apart.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 9:31 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The answer's going to differ from person to person. We waited until we were settled into our new surroundings (we moved from KY to MA when DD was 2) and stable with new jobs and all. I'm 12 weeks along with #2, and when it's born, DD will be almost 5 1/2. I would have liked to start trying a little sooner, but this is just how things worked out.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:32 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The best time is when your family is ready. My kids are 6yrs old and 1 yr old, i never wanted that big of a gap but thats how it worked out, i plan on having one more but will wait a little longer, maybe 5 more mths, I dont think its a great idea to have too many little ones close in age because its harder to give them the attention and care they need. Thats just my opinion.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• my dd is 3 but will be 4 in march and this baby will b born in nov...i use to want my kids back to back only like 22mnths apart like me and my older bro but now im glad thier will be a lil distance in the ages cuz each of them will get thier own baby time..i use to sit of kids who were less then 15mnths apart and the older one deff did not get his baby time and you could tell..but honestly if your ready for another one go for it
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I don't think there is really any specific "best time", as that will vary from person to person. Ideally you should talk to your DH/BF/SO about this, and both of you decide when you feel the time is right, or decide how much spacing you want between children. With mine my hubs and I decided that 2yrs apart was good spacing, and our older 2 boys are 2yrs, 1 wk apart in age. We thought we were done, then had a 'surprise' (which ended in loss in 2004) and after that we did want a 3rd. So our boys were 9 1/2 and 7 1/2 when #3 was born. It was nice to have the 2 close together, as I could save the clothes from #1 for #2, and they also played together and had similar interests. With #3, my boys were older and that worked out well too, cause they could help bottle feed baby, or entertain him with his toys, or keep an eye on him for a few minutes while I did some household chores....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• That is definitely a personal preference depending on your particular situation. I have heard it is easier when they are close together. My mom always said go ahead and have the kids close together for two reasons: Your body is already in the "baby making mode", and your body may be able to handle it better and make the recovery all at one; and the kids being close together in age, will grow up together being close as well. However, I have had friends, my brother as well, who had 2 kids a few years apart, and didn't have their youngest until the oldest one was 10! So, it really depends on your situation. What does your husband think?
    Lynda-Lou

Answer by Lynda-Lou at 10:33 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I think whenever you both agree on it!! I hav seen so many arguments on here about one wanting one and one not,, I think it really is up to you as long as you both agree!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• well i have a 3 in a half year old and im expecting so my chidren will like be four years apart. I think it truely depends on the parents when they are ready i personally would not have one right after the other because that would just be too hectic.
    MommysAngels744

Answer by MommysAngels744 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 6, 2011