What should I do at the water park if anything at all when my son has a skin disorder....

My three year old has a rare skin disorder. It looks like a bad case of the chicken pox but it is not contagious. When we went to the pool mothers starred at my son in shock. We are going to a sprinkler park today and do I bother explaining to the women that look concerned? Or knowing he isn't harming anyone leave it alone??

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd explain it, so they aren't worried.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, unless they seem horrified. It's perfectly fine to explain, but for your own sake, don't do so in a confrontational way. It's hard enough dealing with the stares, whispers, etc. Which is bad behavior on their part, you really don't owe an explanation at all because you haven't done anything wrong.

I hope your little guy has a blast!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:39 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i would explain it then leave it alone. He needs to have fun too!! kudos to you for not keeping him cooped up and letting him have a little fun!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• id explain to them and then go and cont to have a good time...have a fun day!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I would expalin it,, have a great day!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I would make up little cards that explain your son's disorder and hand them one if they stare at your child. I'm planning on making some up for my daughter because the older she gets the more obvious her disorder is. And while I understand a surprised look, staring at a child is rude and unacceptable. I don't mind questions, but I do mind gaping stares. From an adult. Children I get. =)
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 8:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Ooooh god people can be sooo ignorant. I mean staring and gawking at a child is bad enough, but to assume that you as the parent would bring him IF he WAS contagious is just ridiculous.
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2011