Is it wrong that I want to be a Firefighter?

I have been weight training and there are no women on the Fire Department where I live. Is it wrong that I want the chance to prove that women can be as strong as men? I am signed up for the class and I have made sure that I have done all of the things that I am suppose to for the Firefighting training. My friend that is on the Fire Department tells me that I am dumb for even tying and that just motivates me even more.

ms.jaimie

Asked by ms.jaimie at 10:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Money & Work

• If you want to do it to make yourself proud its not wrong, if you want to do it to prove your worth to others (men) then I would say your intentions are wrong. Go for it! That's cool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I agree with the anon above. You should do it to make YOU happy, not just to prove a point to other people.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• noo why would it be dumb?! you can be whatever you want to be =] as long as your fully capable of it!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It is not dumb but you have to realize that just like in the military--they lower the standards for women. Physically there is just no way you will be stronger than a male counterpart. Think about having to get one of your male co-workers out of burning building--could you really lift a 180+ man with equipment if you had to? That is the only gripe my sons, military, have about women--they want to know their "buddy" could get them out as they could him. I don't doubt women make great firefighters but there is a legitimate concern in the men's minds that you have to respect.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It's not dumb. But it is risky. It's a dangerous job that I wouldn't risk having with children at home that need a mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• U go girl i think a women firefighter is sexy! Do what u want to do. this is a free country and u can prove men u can do their job as well!
    ChildOfGod1025

Answer by ChildOfGod1025 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Totally agree with 10:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 by: Anonymous

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• There is no difference between a male firefighter and a female firefighter... We have both here... The one thing you will need to look at is Will the other firefighters see you as different when you're in the flames? If they are going to be more concerned with "taking care of you" than doing what they should it could end up being a danger to someone else. I know it's sexist. But it could be a concern...  If they are going to treat you differently because you are a woman it could be putting them, you or someone else in danger.  Not a good thing!  And would really not be working in your favor.  Just something to think about...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:47 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I agree with the very first Anon's response. My godmother dreamed of being a police officer since she was three years old, she grew to be a small woman in height and size, but did it anyways, yes she has "lifted" an over 200 lbs man with full uniform on, so ignore that other anon's response. I will say her intentions weren't to "out-due" them but to join them in the common goal of helping others in keeping people safe, this should be your goal as well or you'll loose focus when another counterpart out does you at all angels which will happen... there's going to be somebody better than you for the rest of your life and odds are if you're around males and doing it then it'll be a male and yes expect "some" negative and horrible comments that you'll have to let go through one ear and out the other.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Babe a women can do anything a man can and can be anything a man can be. well i take that last part back a women can never be a man we are so much better than that. Best of luck with your dream I will pray you get it.
    youngarmywife

Answer by youngarmywife at 1:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2008