Do You Buy Organic Foods of Any Kind?

I'm always reading buy this or that esp. fruits and veggies organic, but they always seem to charge more for the organic foods making it harder in these times. We have our own veggie garden and when we buy fruits we wash them really good, ocassionally buying organic. We try and go to the outside Farmers Markets in the warmer weather and buy their products, hoping their better for us also. How about you ladies, esp. for your kids?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Health

• I try and buy organic as much as I can, but if the price difference is just too much I can't do it. We also have our own organic veggie garden in the yard, but while waiting for harvest time, I try my best to buy local and/or organic if its affordable. I shop at A&P and they came out with a new line of "Green Way" products that are organic and very affordable. Even the salsa and marinara sauce is cheaper than regular and its REALLY good. Their organic veggies are also priced low, but they don't have every veggie I like available.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I can't even afford non-organic food.....so no. I do try to hit the farmer's markets when I can.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I just buy my fruits and vegetables in a super market. Sometimes I go to the farmer's market. I don't always buy oprganic though.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 10:18 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I do buy mostly organic foods from Trader Joes or the Farmers' markets. We even buy organic free range meat. What is cool here is that people who are on food stamps can get tokens for the farmer's markets. So they really want everybody to be able to buy more organic foods! I think they really need to do more like that for people that are on a tight or low budgets.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 10:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• We buy organic produce. Our naturopathic doctor gave me a list of what is important to buy organic and what is not. Basically, anything with a thick outer shell, that you peel away, does not need to be organic. Any fruit or vegetable where you eat the entire thing, does need to be organic. Washing with water does nothing. You have to purchase an all natural fruit and vegetable wash. Also, be careful at the Farmers Market. Just because its fresh produce directly from your farmers does not mean they grow organically. You have to ask them to be sure!
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 11:31 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I buy my dairy and produce organic
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Very rarely.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

1. Peaches          

2. Appleout a little extra money.

3. Sweet Bell Peppers

4. Celery

5. Nectarines

6. Strawberries

7. Cherries

8. Pears

9. Grapes (Imported)

10. Spinach

11. Lettuce

12. Potatoes    

13. This is the list that has been put out with the veggies and fruits with pesticides used on them the most. I  guess it's these we need to worry about and try to buy when we have that extra $ to do so.  

MyAngel003

Comment by MyAngel003 (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Yes, we buy organic meat/poultry (although we also only eat it a few times a month). Also buy organic produce as much as possible.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2011