Probiotics for kids?

My son has always had a problem with going number 2, so a few doctors have suggested Miralax, but I'm not comfortable with giving it to my son, lately I'm seeing gummies and yogurts, any experience with either?

kyuteangl88

Asked by kyuteangl88 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Health

• they also sell these lil cookies that r packed full of fiber cant remember the name of them right now if i think of it i'll let u know good luck i know its horrible to watch ur child suffer
    CandelariaMama

Answer by CandelariaMama at 10:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i find that probiotics keep my daughter regular. She had issues with constipation & her Dr. told me also to try Mirilax. I told her up front that i did not want to. She then said i could try probiotics & that she would be interested to know how it works out. She said usually people use it for other digestive problems such as IBS.

We tried yogurt, but she couldn't eat it every day. So, i bought her the kind in capsul form. I open the capsul & sprinkle it over her cereal in the morning. It is tasteless, but does not dissolve too well...but she doesn't notice it in her cereal, or oatmeal. I also have some in pill form & she can swallow them if i cut them in 1/2.

From personal experience, this stuff has worked wonders. I have also found that it improves immunity & is also good for women & their women parts. Apparently women who take probiotics don't get yeast infections & have very healthy flora down there.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:25 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Candelaria....I've actually been told that fiber has the opposite effect in kids, so I steer away from it :(

Thanks Samurai, I'll have to check them out :)
    kyuteangl88

Comment by kyuteangl88 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Fiber supplements in capsules that you can sprinkle on food might help. Flor Restore is also good.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Probiotics can be really helpful. You do have to give them time to work though. It's not as much of a "quick fix." Every day for a good week or two and then you should see a difference. Also just up the whole grains and fruits and veggies, and down with the white flours. Between that and the probiotics, he should have no problem. I know how you feel, cuz I've been there with my son. Had a 10 day course of antibiotics and his gut was so messed up for the longest time from that! Stinkin doctors and their anitbiotics.. and it was only for a run of the mill ear infection. If I could go back in time, I would've told them what they could do with those anitbiotics! ;)
    wlmsmom04

Answer by wlmsmom04 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Forget the fancy cutesy stuff - get a good probiotic in refrigerated capsule form (refregeration keeps the good bacteria alive, which is what you need/want). Open the capsule and add to all kinds of things - but keep in mind that it will change the flavor mildly (ours makes things sweeter) and will start "eating" the food immediately - add it to pudding, and within minutes it's runny, add to milk and within minutes it appears curdled, etc - it's still safe to eat/drink, but shows that foods it's added to need to be consumed immedaitely. My DS was on probiotics daily from 3 weeks to 15 months old - I split 1 capsule between 3 bottles (didn't mix it in til the bottle was ready, already warmed up, etc). Without it he couldn't poop, and I didn't want to give him meds. Our doc loved it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Yes, the probiots to work well but they too are unregulated, just like all other dietary supplements. Benefiber is another good fiber supplement (not a probiotic though). I would certainly not use miralax if it's a chronic problem. Could also try the fiber one products (granola bars, cereal, etc) but they are REALLY high fiber and may be too "powerful" for him. Also make sure he's eating lots of natural fiber -- good ones include apples, lentils/legumes, plums, and lots o water all the time.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 11:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2011