Would it be a mistake?/

I have been with my man for 14yrs we have 6 great kids but we are not married...Its not an incovience or anything I just wonder since it has been so long should we even get married??/

Jme626

Asked by Jme626 at 10:28 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• What do your SO and your kids think?
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:29 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• That's totally up to you. Why fix what ain't broken? I could see if there were legal reasons looming (terminal illness, issues of ownership, etc); everything else is pretty much emotional. What's he say?
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 10:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Is there a reason why you feel that a slip of paper means more than the relationship that you have?

If you both want to, go for it. If not, what you have is working for you so leave it alone.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I think if you both want too,, go ahead, it might make things easier if something happened to one of you,, married or not, congrats on a great relationship and six kids!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:33 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I believe marriage is in the eyes of God, not the law. If it's just the two of you and neither are stepping out, then in God's eyes, you are married. With that being said, there are legal things you might want to consider, that I learned working on an ambulance. No matter how long you are together, if something happens to either one of you, it is not up to you to make decisions, but other family members. Although you two know each other better than anyone else and know what you would want, it still is not your decision for each other. If he dies, you won't even be able to see him until his family decides you can. If he's on life support, it's their decision, not yours. You aren't entitled to each other's social security or pensions either. You have to look at all angles and decide what is best.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• If you both feel that you want to make your relationship a legal committed marriage then I would suggest getting married. If you both are fine with things as they are then I'd leave it as is.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• If its something you both want then you should go ahead and do it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:44 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Look into your states laws, you may be "common law married" - which means that after so many years of living together the state/gov't sees you as married even though you haven't exchanged vows. I know in my state it's 7 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• marriage can b soo beautiful if 2 people love each other as much as obviously u 2 do 14yrs is a long time 2 b together it might b really nice for u guys 2 experience ur wedding day 2gether and for ur kids 2 b there 2 oh it would b really special thats how me and my husband did we have 3 kids been together 7yrs but only married 1month but it was awesome to have our kids b our best men and maid of honor so it could b a really fun experience 4 the whole family good luck
    CandelariaMama

Answer by CandelariaMama at 11:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I think it is up to you guys. What do yall want to do? Your relationship must be ok, if you have been together that long.
    shepri

Answer by shepri at 11:15 AM on Jun. 6, 2011