What can't Atheists and Agnostics do that other people can?

I go to church and I talk about God at home. I rarely hear any other talk about religion outside these areas. I know people experience different cultural norms depending where they live, but what rights don’t some people have?

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well we can't run for office in many states on the state level as many State "constittutions" have articles int hem which prevent Atheists from running, such as teh following in Arkansas

Constitution Of The State Of Arkansas Of 1874.
    Article 19. Miscellaneous Provisions. § 1. Atheists disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness.

No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.

We cannot be freemasons, as their "code' requires belief in a supreme being, our children cannot be boyscouts, same thing as free masons, girlscouts used to have a similar restriction but it has since been revoked.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• We have the exact same rights that you do, but the majority didn't get that memo.

Perfect example.... My son's teacher telling him that "god made you" (which, unless the district deals with appropriately, is going to have to go to court). My son's rights were violated. What she did was flatly unconstitutional. It was ruled on over 5o years ago. When at school teaching, she represents the US government, which can not endorse any religion. No one seems to have a problem with what she did, nor do they care to correct it.

It isn't about having rights, it is a matter of rights not being upheld.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I dont' live in Massachusetts. The point is not whether or not it is enforces, just it BEING there is a violation of the US Constitution and discrimination against Atheists and any law enforcement officer thinking it "duty" to uphold the law and arrest someone for simply being Atheist.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• wow Krisiti...i had no idea about the states laws. sounds like they need to be taken to court!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:51 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• hahaha..i can't answer this, as i'm not either. but i bumped ya!
    i could speculate something along the lines of ''freedom to not believe as others do''..but what do i know?!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• "Teacher can say a lot of things to my kids I don't agree with, it leads to great discussions at home for us I why I don't agree with them."

...and so, it is OK that she violated my son's rights?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Yes it can be, if it is taken to court in the first place and it has to be done on the federal level because clearly the state of Arkansas and others like it will just throw the case out.

You asked what we can't do that others can and you were answered, if you don't like the answers and knowing that in some states and within some organizations Atheists ARE being discriminated against, thean perhaps you shouldn't have asked the question.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

•  Teacher can say a lot of things to my kids I don't agree with, it leads to great discussions at home for us I why I don't agree with them.

The laws in Arkansas could be legally challenged in the courts like all other laws.

RyansMom001

Comment by RyansMom001 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• In Massachusetts there is a law that dictates an Atheisat can be arrested and spend up to a year in jail for simply not believing in God.

Part IV. CRIMES, PUNISHMENTS AND PROCEEDINGS IN CRIMINAL CASES
    TITLE I. CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS CHAPTER 272. CRIMES AGAINST CHASTITY, MORALITY, DECENCY AND GOOD ORDER Chapter 272: Section 36. Blasphemy Section 36. Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.[4]
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Massachusetts' State Constitution, Article 3 "Any every denomination of Christians, demeaning themselves peaceably, and as good subjects of the commonwealth, shall be equally under the protection of the law: and no subordination of any one sect or denomination to another shall ever be established by law."

This one grants Christians protection under the law exclusively
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 6, 2011