Women's Rights During Child Birth

How would you feel about being court ordered to have an unnecessary, medically unindicated c-section, or have your infant possessed by the state because you refused unnecessary treatment?

Not too keen on the idea, eh? Well, anti-choice advocates, who are also "personhood" redefinition advocates are more than happy to take away your personal right to do what you see fit, necessary, healthy, with your own body.

After reading the article, and feeling my uterus contract, simply at the thought of being court ordered to have an unnecessary major abdominal surgery... I'm left with the question....

Do anti-choice, pro "personhood" advocates not understand how their proposed legislature affects women's rights, or is it simply introduced as another way to control our most basic human rights?

Biblically, we're supposed to yield authority to men... do they see this also, as their right? To FORCE us into submission at the absolute most vulnerable moment in our lives?
I can't help but think, in an overwhelmingly christian society, what horrors will come to pass... what other basic rights, we, as women, are going to have to lose.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:39 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I do my best to tolerate just about anyone's opinion... But these Anti-Choice and "Pro-Family" groups are driving me nuts lately. If YOU choose to live your life that way, you're free to, I don't have to agree with it. BUT, when these movements start attacking how others live their lives they cross a line which I simply can't tolerate any more. And this is a perfect example! As both the woman in labor AND the mother of the child in question it IS and SHOULD BE your right 100% to decide what does and doesn't happen in that delivery room. I feel the same with any other medical choice (which I've been fought on many times in this forum). You are making your choices because of your beliefs, feelings and/or education on the subject, and so are they. But who's to say that your beliefs/feelings/edu. is any more or less valid than theirs. So YOU make YOUR choices and I'll make mine! It should be that simple.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• "Biblically, we're supposed to yield authority to men"

That's absolutely not true. Jewish society is matriarchal, which means that the ones in charge of passing it on are the women, not the men. Just another example of the Christianizatio nof all Biblical religions.
    As for the question itself, well I don't believe in taking away anyone else's rights. However, I think nowadays many women are misguided into thinking they know better than doctors because they can Google "C-section" and read all those links on money hungry, greedy doctors that just want to push "unnecessary" procedures for their own twisted reasons. Ultimately, the ability to google cannot compare to medical school and years of training and experience and if MY doctor told me that the best choice for me and my baby is a C-section, then cut me up.
    I do think, though, that such laws should be reserved for refused necessary or recommended procedures.

Continued...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Just disgusting! That makes me feel so uncomfortable. It's getting ridiculous. I do believe the fetus should have rights, but not at the cost of the mother's rights. The mom with big babies, that is totally her decision, I can't believe any judge would even acknowledge the case.

I feel differently about the crack mom though. Nothing she had ever done up to that point was probably for the sake of her children.

So making "one-size fits all" laws is ridiculous! It makes me angry and frankly, scares me. My son was 10lbs when he was born, so a hospital can tell me I HAVE to have a c-section for the next one because it could be big?? I call bullshit!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• so...do you want to talk about the scary legal actions and the groups that promote it or do you want to talk about how we're going to lose all our rights b/c of our big scary Christian-society?

just trying to figure out which you want to talk about.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:03 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I mean, if a doctor pushes a C-section because he needs to get t ohis golf game or he's been up for hours and he's tired, then of course a woman should have every right to refuse it. However, if the recommendation is based on true medical issues, as it was in my case, and a woman refuses and something goes wrong, then I do think such a law could apply. After all, we're ver yquick to sue doctors when they do a procedure and it goes wrong, why can't it be the other way around? Wanting to be in charge of our own health care decision means dealing with the consequences of making uneducated choices against medical advice. We can't have it both ways, if we want that power, we have to take the responsibility.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Ultimately everyone wants his/her "rights", but it seems to me no one us willing to deal with the responsibility and the consequences of having those rights.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I feel differently about the crack mom though. Nothing she had ever done up to that point was probably for the sake of her children.
    -------
    But there is a HUGE difference between a woman who is doing something illegal (crack) and someone who simply wants to have her children naturally... So that's really an entirely different situation. And a completely second set of laws...

I thankfully had doctors who believe (and practice) the idea that c-sections are surgery and should NOT be an alternative to labor and birth. My kids were all on the "big" side, although no where near 12lbs. And even when I had toxemia, a c-section was never seen as an option. That said, had I CHOSEN to have one, they would have said NO.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• You're either confused about what "quotation marks" mean, or you do not see being able to decide what happens to your body as your absolute right.

A woman should have the right to refuse ALL treatment. Regardless of outcome, it is her decision to make. Period.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• @sabrina

I agree with you. I feel like the crack mom shouldn't have had a choice because she was likely not thinking clearly or in the best interest of her children.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I find this very troubling, where the rights of the unborn are being held higher than the rights of the mother. It is a dangerous slope to controlling women overall, and could be grossly misused in the hands of the wrong doctors.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2011