What would cause this horrible handicap in a child?

This child is 10. He has severe mental and physical retardation. His arms are straight and rigid, always, with fists called tightly. His jaw is always open, tongue protruding, cannot speak, only scream. He cannot hold himself up, or operate an electrical wheelchair. He has nightly hydrotherapy, and only recognizes mother, father, and two older siblings. To him, everyone else is a stranger. He is roughly the size of an average 5yr old, just under 4ft, probably 50lb. His face is distressed, skin pulled tight, and rosy. His nasal cavity is deformed as well.

Is there a name for this? What is the prognosis for a child like this?

(I'm not picking or trying to be nosy, this describes a friend's brother, and I don't want to accidentally slip up and offend anyone with my ignorance of his condition.)
.

matobe

Asked by matobe at 10:39 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Perhaps CP, or maybe spina bifida. husband is an orthothist (someone who makes bracing) and he sees kiddos like this all the time, have you ever just sat down and talked to your friend about it? Sometimes people just don't talk about what is wrong so they won't be offensive, but is sounds like she has alot on her plate, and perhaps would welcome someone just letting her talk.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:43 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It probably falls under the CP umbrella.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My best guess would be CP, ask her soemtime if she knows about that & recommend she reads up on it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Sounds most like it falls under the Cerebal Palsy umbrella (it is a HUGE umbrella of conditions). It doesn't sound like the Spina Bifida that I am familiar with (mil's sister had severe SB).

I'd personally ask her when you are both together next. Just say you are curious and want to understand more about her brother.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I was also going to say CP
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Sounds like my Uncle who was sever CP. What sounds like screams and grunts to you can actually be him speaking. My uncle also in no way use an electric chair, but could push himself backwards in a regular wheelchair. One arm always curled up the other straight out. With a lot of work and concentration he could point with the arm that was straight. Because he could point My Grandfather made him a card holder for his cards when he played Euchre, and was mean. I learned a few swear words being at this side as his card thrower. We also use to put a life jacket on him and throw him in the pool well place him. He also loved that. Most of all he loved being around us and laughed at our jokes and sometimes our stupidity. CP is not hereditary, it's caused by some kind of birth injury, either before in utero or right at birth. Some, do also have brain damage, but most don't and are quite bright. Talk to your friend, to find out more.
    daps

Answer by daps at 11:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• People tend to prefer to be asked. You friend may appreciate your concern. I'd ask him.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:15 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I'm reading 'Shot In The Dark' at the moment and some of his symptoms are like described in the book. the book is talking about illness caused by DTP vaccine especially the P (Pertussis) vaccine...most of the injured babies who survived death are mentally and physically retarded...and i know (not personally) a girl that has the same condition. she can't speak, moves or does anything...not even swallow...so she's fed by the tube that stuck to her tummy

so far as i know most vaccines could cause severe injuries or even death...
    3pippings

Answer by 3pippings at 9:58 AM on Jun. 10, 2011