Knowledge, respect *sigh*

Am I the only person left in this damn world who tries to respect other peoples religion & cultures? Really I mean come on!

Okay so a few years back a whole slew of Amish moved into our town. I am in mid Maine so its not the normal thing to have Amish living with you. Still I know enough about their beliefes to respect them. If I hadent known enough then I would have researched it a bit & would/will do with any other religion/culture I come across too.

They dont like pics taken of themselves (dont remember the reason why will have to look it up) but this is a big thing dont take pics period. I catch people in this town taking pics all the time like really!? Now its one thing not to know then when approached about it (like I will tell someone kindly that its not acceptable etc) to say they didnt know & to stop but its another thing to argue with me & continue! WTF just dont do it period simple as that respect others!

Maybe I am just weird like that but oh well. Treat others how you'd like to be treated & I like being treated with respect.

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Amish children are told that reason why is because of the graven image thing, but they will pictures of people on their calenders and such. If you were to ask them if you can take their picture they will say no, as posing for a picture is considered, prideful. Here's where it gets tricky, If you take Picture of their farm, or barn and such, and they just happen to be in it they won't mind. What they do mind is the in your face, walking on their property, stopping their buggy, so you can put the camera, in their face and so on. So if your respectful of taking their picture, In other words so they don't know they don't mind. They of course can't tell you this as it goes with the whole pride thing again. My old Choir teacher's family was Amish then strict Mennonite then he turned Methodist. Plus I live near Shipshewana.
    daps

Answer by daps at 11:34 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• yeah, good luck with that. People are rude, period.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• From a Dos and Don'ts of visiting Amish Country:

"No photos or videos, please. Most Amish consider posing for photographs to be an unacceptable act of pride and do not allow pictures of themselves. The Amish will usually allow you to photograph their homes, farms, and buggies if you ask respectfully, but even this can be intrusive and is better avoided. If you must take pictures, consider a telephoto lens, and avoid taking any photos which include recognizable faces. A picture of the rear of an Amish buggy as it travels down the road probably won't offend anyone."

A true artist that chooses to depict the Amish in their Artwork will leave the facial features off.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:19 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Lol! I lived in Lancaster PA and know in TN both places have A LOT of Amish and you are right people show no respect. But I will add when I was i Lancaster there were a lot of tourists ad they didn't know much about them and were very surprised to find out Amish don't like pictures taken. (I worked at a hotel so met a lot of tourists there)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I fully agree with you. My dad lived in Amish country I believe the picture thing has to due with capturing the soul I could be wrong been a long time. People are just rude and ignorant/. Funny thing is I guarantee if you did some thing against their beliefs they would be in a tissy .
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• This is a grayer area here. Honestly, it's rude to take pictures of ANYONE in the way a lot of people feel entitled to take pictures of the Amish. Really, it's no different than taking People of WalMart shots, only you're doing it because they have Plain Dress instead of 3 sizes too small spandex. Now, with that said, we have an Amish Theme Park here. (yes, really) It's hard to tell people they can't take pictures, then herd them into a compound where the idea is to spend money, visit the park and...take pictures.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Now, with that said, we have an Amish Theme Park here. (yes, really) It's hard to tell people they can't take pictures, then herd them into a compound where the idea is to spend money, visit the park and...take pictures.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking

AMISH THEME PARK?!?!?!

OOOOO...I want details!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I swear I've posted this before:

Amish Acres

That's on the edge of Amish country.  Drive North or West and it's more mainstream farming towns, then Chicagoland.  Go South or East and it's deep Amish until you get to Fort Wayne.  Funny thing is if you head about 40 miles NE, you're in deep Amish...but that's where you'll find the indoor water park.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Agreed.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Thanks twinsplus2more good answer.
    Brandi300 thanks too! I dont go off on people by any means but I will nicely tell them that as a general Amish rule you dont take photos bc they dont like it etc. Like I said if they simply go oh wow I didnt know & stop that is fine or if they were to ask the Amish themselves if its okay again thats fine. Its the people who go "who cares" & continue to do this when I get upset but I dont again confront them about it any further bc I always have my 3yo daughter with me & they are just rude people & I dont like to have to deal with rude people like that if I dont have to. I simply try that is all.

Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2011