Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where can I find free or inexpensive legal advice for single moms?

I am 30 weeks pregnant and me and the babies father just recently had a really bad break-up, he is now telling me that he is going to get full custody of our child. I need to know some legal advice or where to find it to protect myself and my baby. Also i nee advice on the babies last name i it should be mine or his. I feel really emotional and i do not want to make tough decisions based on emotions. I want to do what is best for me and my little boy.

Answer Question

Asked by mama.amy at 11:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Relationships

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Legal Aid

    Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • I would put your last name just because you are not getting married and it's so much easier!!!! My daughter is going through the same thing and because her son has the fathers last name she is having a hell of a time she is remarried and he is just in the picture to cause drama. so if I were you I would give him your last name as long as you have a stable home for him and are clean you will not lose your baby....keep your head up!!!!

    Answer by buttonlts at 11:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • Are you two married or not?

    Answer by louise2 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • we are not married

    Comment by mama.amy (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • He could petition the court to hyphenate the name of change the last name to his. I'd just hyphenate it if you want your last name. Personally, I'd put his last name because if you ever get married the child will no longer have your name either (meaning he/she won't have either of his/her parents' last names), but I'm not in your shoes, so I can't tell you what to do.

    Answer by laird6372 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • Sense you are not married . Do not put him on the birth certificate. The only way for him to get full custody of the baby is if he can prove you unfit mother.  that is really hard.  You automatically will get custody of the child sense you are not married to the father..


    Answer by louise2 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • Give the child your maden name.

    Answer by louise2 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • Every situation is different. The only person that can explain to you what is right for you is an attorney. The best way to protect your child and make sure you're doing the right thing is to get advice from an attorney and not an advice board...I know your upset and in need of emotional support but do not make decisions based on an advice board when it comes to the welfare of your child...

    Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.