What do I need to breastfeed?

This will be my first time & I still have a few questions that I am unsure about.

I will always be around the baby, I am just wondering what do I need , I am not worried about the pump, I am mainly wanting to know....
What pads to get for leaks
What medicine or lotion I need for myself , for pain,dryness,or whatever else can happen.
What type of cover is good to nurse in public,is there any breatable so the baby dosent get hot from being coverd?
Any thing I left out????????
Tips????
Thanks so much, have a blessed day!!!

IloveJesus316

Asked by IloveJesus316 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Really, the only thing you *need*--- the most important thing--- is support, second comes knowledge, then a good, supportive nursing bra.

Olive oil works better to moisturize sore or dry nipples than anything else, and it retards the growth of yeast.

Nursing covers actually draw MORE attention to you than anything. They make a spectacle of what you're doing, I refused to use one.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:25 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Eat. Lots. I didnt produce enough milk because I didnt eat enough! The gel pads they give you at the hospital are awesome and theres a purple box of nursing pads sold at WalMart...I forget the name but they hold a good bit and dont smell!
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 11:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Yes, I agree that knowledge and support are the most important factors in BFing success. If your hospital offers one, take a BFing class and get a good book to refer to. I used The Nursing Mother's Companion, but that was 6 years ago, there may be better ones out there, although I really liked that one.

Definitely get a tube of Lansinoh and some nursing bras. Kohls has them pretty cheap.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Even if you plan to be at home, you might want to think about a small manual pump--I got really engorged when my milk came in and hand expressing just didn't work for me. I really liked the Natural Nipple Butter from Earth Mama Angel Baby for the first few days of sore nipples, and the nursing tanks from Target. I never used a cover when nursing in public--the baby covered my stomach and nipple, and my shirt covered the top of my breast. The few times I tried to practice using a cover, it was more hassle than it was worth. Don't be afraid to ask questions--while it's a "natural" thing to do, it's definitely not always easy :)
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The thing you NEED is a breast. Just one, though two is nice to have. And you NEED knowledge. Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro.

I'm not a fan of covers. They're like neon signs saying TRY TO SEE THIS WOMAN'S BREAST! I was more "discreet" without a cover than I ever was WITH one; no one noticed me when I didn't cover. People STARED when I did.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I use Lanolin breast pads and get the thick ones, it's amazing how much you might leak. I leaked anytime I heard a baby cry....eek
    Let see, Lanolin also has a nipple cream that is okay for the baby to ingest.
    I used just a blanket to cover like I was swaddling her, so never really knew what I was doing!!
    An EXCELLENT nursing bra, several if you can afford it. Once you leak thru the pads, time to wash
    I had to watch what I ate, spicey foods and tomato based foods didn't sit well on her tummy.
    Drink LOTS of aqua and fruit juice. You will be amazed how hungry you'll be!
    Get a Boppy to support you and him/her while you are nursing.
    ShelbysHope76

Answer by ShelbysHope76 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I need breasts?? Foreal? LOL
    Thanks everyone :) Has anyone ever used the reusable breast pads? How many pads would I use a day, on an estimate I know it probaly will depend.
    I will use a cover, I cant see me letting my girls hang out. I was at the mall yesterday & a lady walk buy breast feeding & I saw her nipple.I think she should cover it up, I have a 9 yr old son & I am glad he didnt see it. I am glad she is breastfeeding but I think you should cover enough where random people cant see your stuff.
    IloveJesus316

Comment by IloveJesus316 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I can understand wanting to cover. I personally am never bothered by a flash of nipple or really any flesh. Everybody's "stuff" is pretty much the same. But everyone has their own comfort level.

Never used the reusable pads. But how many you get depends on how often you plan to wash. I know I changed the disposables (Johnsons Healthflow) several times a day, much like a sanitary pad.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2011