Do relationships have an expiration date?

If in a relationship for years, and your partner is unhappy and there is nothing you can do to make them happy, what should you do? Give up? Keep on like everything is okay? Do relationships get stale and rotten, if so should one throw it away and let that unhappy partner be free?

mamofive

Asked by mamofive at 11:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• MY personal thoughts.

No relationships really do not have an expiration date. Some relationships need more work than others, some just aren't meant to be, some just flounder on life support year after year. All relationships are different because a relationship is made of 2 individuals, and individuals are extremely different all the way around (lol).

In regards to being unable to make a partner happy. It is not my job, nor is it even within my ability to make another human being happy.. I can enhance happiness, I can share happiness, I can try and encourage happiness. However, ultimately an individual is the only one who has any control over their happiness. If a person is an unhappy person, if they are unhappy with themselves and their lives (for whatever reason) their partner in life can not and will not ever make them "happy". Happiness comes from within, one has to be happy with themselves first and foremost.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I would move on.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• some relationships just arnt ment to be :( i would move on
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• If all avenues have been exhausted in trying to "keep it going", then move on.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i would try something different if the love is still there. No sense in ending a marriage that could be saved just by trying sometehing different. Or are you looking for people to tell you to get out?
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:37 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Depends on what they are unhappy about?

Answer by louise2 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• If nothing made the other happy, i would move on. I could not be with someone who is not happy to be with me.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• has your SO sought help for depression? That could be a big issue if he's not happy. I would try counceling before moving on first.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Relationships do not have an expiration date...there are people who have been in relationships longer than married people and are still together because of what they put into the relationship...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I don't think they have expiration dates, like milk or eggs. But I do think that some relationships simply aren't meant to be long term. I think, if you've both tried everything you can to make each other happy and resolve relationship issues and you're (one or both of you) still not happy, then it probably is best to let each other go so that you can each try to find happiness with someone who can truly make you happy.

Relationships are not a competition, where whoever stays in a relationship longest and through the biggest ordeals wins a prize. They're about being happy, and loved, and satisfied. And if one or both of you isn't feeling those things, then there's no reason to continue making each other miserable.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2011