What, if any, handmade gifts did you make this year?

I crocheted scarves and hats, as well as made homemade bath salts and scrubs. I also made homemade treats for the dogs, thanks to a recipe from a Cafemom! I'm still working on gift tags/bags etc out of recyclables

KnoxvilleDoula

Asked by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Just for Fun

• The only i mad are glass ball ornaments with my daughters pic inside.. I tried to make them look like she helped me.. they are really cute
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 10:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I made a handpainted Christmas platter for my mom- it says 'Merry Christmas' in the middle and has a handpainted garland with Christmas balls around the outside and on each ball is the name of our family (my mom and dad, dh and I, and our three kids.) I was really proud- I'm not very artistic but it turned out very well!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• So far I've made a wreath with branches from our holly tree
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:47 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I assembled 22 jars of 7 Bean Soup with recipe cards, cross-stitched a 10x12 picture for my son and his wife, crocheted two 'ponchos' for my grqnddaughter
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Aw I wish I was that creative! I haven't made anything this year, but usually I make decorative plates when I'm low on cash. You just get a clear glass plate (a dollar or two at walmart), some decoupage glue, and some pretty wrapping paper (I usually use 2 different patterns that compliment each other). Coat the circular base on the bottom with the glue and put a picture on (cut it to fit the base first). Then when that's pretty dry, coat the rest of the bottom with glue and tear strips or chunks of wrapping paper and glue them across the bottom of the plate, alternating patterns. I usually let it dry overnight, then get a straight blade and scrape all of the dried up glue off of the top of the plate and cut the extra paper off the edges. It's pretty neat, and everyone I give one to loves them! If you do this, be sure to add a note that it has to be cleaned with a damp sponge, never submerged in water.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I have knitted some hats, mittens and scarves, and thought about making some dishcloths. My sil crochets those scrubbies, and she made me 2 doll basinett./purses. They are so cute!! My mil is a quilter and this year she has made quilts for everyone. Wish I had such talent!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I made baby powder scented gel candles with my son's hand print on them for the grandparents
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• The only thing I have made is Christmas shaped crayons for all the kids in the family.
    hotfudgesunday

Answer by hotfudgesunday at 12:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I sewed lavendar/mint filled pillows, or sachets with plants from my garden, and lavendar velvet.. Also, made jars of Russian Tea, which my kids always look forward to finding in their stockings! I am in the process of making photoalbums of senior pics for the grandparents of my senior daughter...couldn't decide on just one, so we got lots, and are making books.
    islandwalker

Answer by islandwalker at 12:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I wrote a whole bunch of dirty stories for my husband in Iraq. Kind of a la Letters to Penthouse. He isn't expecting this from me and it is going to totally blow his mind.
    Anonymous