This is probaly a dumb/ignorant question but I am curious......

For those of you who go to church what do you afterwards? Do members bring dishes to the church and everyone eat together? Or do you just go home and eat? I'm doing research on Southern black tradition and how we are different from others. After we get out of church we always go into the church kitchen to have Sunday dinner with other church members before going home. So I guess what I am asking is what are you guys southern tradition? Not trying to start any drama or anything. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• When our Southern Baptist church was smaller (around 500 members, average attendance of 2-300) we had potluck lunch together on the first Sunday of the month. Now that it's larger (several thousand members and an average of attendance of 1000 at each of 3 services), we only do the potluck Sunday lunch thing twice/year. Usually after church, our family goes out to eat with my parents and sometimes a couple other families will meet us wherever we go.

Answer by missanc at 11:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• there are special times we eat together but my kids need naps! lol
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 11:51 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• We have dinner after service about once a month. The rest of the time everybody goes home to eat...or a group of us get together and go out.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• For the most part we all go home to eat at Mama's. Everyonce in a blue.moon do we do a potluck. If it helps ur research at all we are a predominantly white congregation.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• We're not Baptist, and we're not in the south. We do potlucks a few times a year but they are poorly attended. Most Sundays we all go our seperate way, have family dinners, whatever. Personally, most Sundays we eat at my IL's.
    Anonymous

• we attend a First United Methodist church, not members, and the church has Wednesday night meals before the service, every week.
    in the past, i've belonged to Baptist and Presbyterian churches that held once-a-month lunches after Sunday services, one church that only had Xmas dinners (all fancy with the white napkins and crystal glasses, etc.), and individual groups free-for-alls at the discretion of the group.
    all in the South...i never knew of a church, black or white or otherwise, that held every-Sunday dinners. i just figured those churches had church all day!! lol!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• We are in California and not Baptist. We only have lunches together as a church for special occasions. Individual families have different traditions. One family goes every Sunday to visit their 103 year old grandmother. We usually just come home and have a regular lunch but a big Sunday dinner.
    ps- it's not a dumb question
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 1:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I went to a mostly-white Presbyterian church in SC as a youth in the 80s. I don't ever remember lunch being offered at the church.

We just went home to eat.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Greek Orthodox Church in DC in the 70's, 80's- coffee and finger foods after church-not a big meal-but then again was a big church so maybe a meal for that many would be difficult-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• we have potluck meals every last Sunday of the month. for the other Sundays we go to my moms & have a big family dinner. we're Church of Christ in central OK (mostly white).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2011