I take care of a 3 year old at home....

I am a stay at home mom but i take care of children at home as well. but the 3 year old i take care of learned his colors and shapes w/ me, but when i started the numbers he dosn't want to even see them I don't know why he is not interested learning his numbers but it worries me because i want him to learn. But people tell me I shouldnt frustated because its not a daycare. but since this is what i want to do i want to be a teacher i am interested that he learns as well as my daughter. And i don't want him to go to preschool and not know his numbers :( help!! please

ChildOfGod1025

Asked by ChildOfGod1025 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Be sneaky about it. Hide some plastic eggs and put numbers in them if he find the one with the 3 in it he gets a prize make it a game. Make cookies and tell him to hand you 2 eggs or you can't make the cookies. Make a fishing pole out of a stick and string put a magnate on the end for the hook and cut paper fish out of construction paper number them and put paper clips on them if he catches fish number whatever he gets a prize. These are the ways I taught my kids if it was a game they learned quicker (fish and egg games also works with letters) before you know it you have a 3 year old who will stand by you when your making eggs and tell you that you only have 4 eggs left. Young kids learn best through creative play.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Don't push it on him, remember to make it fun, if you're already doing that, then maybe just give him a break he'll come around.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I think you are worring too much. When he wants to learn he will.
    My daughter knew that before 2, because I was like you. I also took care of a boy who is 6 months younger than my daughter and he had no interest at all with learning colors, numbers or even reading books. I just let his mother know what was going on.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• dont push him...everything in its own time and most moms know that the more you push your kids one way the more they fight you tooth and nail. You said you want to be a teacher...does that mean professionally? Take some basic classes on early childhood education and get familliar on how youngsters learn. Try letters or shapes instead see what he is interested in.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2008