1 1/2 year old dog won't sleep through the night.

So my papillon dog sleeps with us at night. For the past few weeks she has been whining and scratching to get out (we put up a baby gate so she can't roam around). Sometimes she has to pee and sometimes she just wants to play or bark like crazy. We don't want her peeing on the carpet so we always let her out. I've started taking away her water a couple hours before bed and taking her out to pee but she still does this. The lack of sleep is killing me and I'm 7 mos. pregnant! She was crated as a puppy but hasn't been since then, what can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pets

• Sorry! But remember that dogs are puppies until age 2! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Does she have a place to sleep that she can call her own? Some people think that dog crates/kennels are inhumane, but they really are not. I have a couple dogs and they both have their own wire kennel. Make sure the kennel is big enough for the dog to be comfortable in, but not too big. I kennel my dogs at night and when we are not home, and I do this until they are 100% housebroken. When they are not shut in their kennels, I still leave the kennel doors open. My dogs LOVE their kennels, and are often found sleeping in them during they day. Dogs are den animals, and like to have a small quite space to hide/sleep. Kennels should NEVER be used as punishment.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 1:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Just don't let her sleep with you. Find another place to put her. Dogs are not humans, so they are not going to understand the concept of sleeping through the night.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• She might need to be placed back in the crate for training so that she can have her own special place to feel safe and warm. When she is in the wide open (a whole room is the big wide open for a Papillon) then she has no concept of sleep time and play time.
    Try crating her again to see how she adapts. You may have a rough beginning, but with loving care she'll learn that the crate is her safe zone.
    By the way, I have a Papillon, too! He'll be 2 in February 2009. He has the upright butterfly ears.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I know exactly what you mean!! I have a German Shepard and she does the same thing. Good luck!
    marciep3

Answer by marciep3 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2008