How long have you been married and what is your secret to a happy marriage?

shepri

Asked by shepri at 11:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• 13 years & I would say, trust (be truthful about everything), love (always make time for each other and to show the other you appricate them), and not be over bearing, I don't tell my husband what he can or can't do and he is the same with me, we are a pretty great couple, hardly fight and always loving on each other.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• We will be married 4 years in September. We are very happy but we don't have a secret....We were 18 and 19 when we got married and have never regretted it once.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• been married 42yrs on May 16...giving each other some space & communitcating
    joyce91241

Answer by joyce91241 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Almost 15 years, and sometimes it isn't happy, but for the most part, I would say communication, and being willing to listen to your partner,,it helps to marry a "good" one to begin with,, meaning one that you don't feel you have to change,,I may not always like my husband, but I always LOVE him.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Been married this time 16 or 17 years (can't remember for sure). Secret is COMMUNICATING. Prior to getting married I was crystal clear about what I would and would not tolerate in a relationship. I had a handwritten list and checked them off as we talked about them. We did this over a matter of weeks maybe even months. I had been single for more than 20 years so my list was pretty detailed. We both knew what would be a deal breaker - no exceptions, no second chances, no looking back.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• This is my 2nd marriage. We've been married for 3 years. I was married for 12 years the first time. I think if you marry the right person, everything else works itself out. Everyone always says marriage is work - my first one was, because it wasn't the right man; this marriage is like a cake walk, he's the right man and it's a joy every day!

Answer by missanc at 11:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• In September my hubby and I will be married 18 years!!! There is really no secret,u just let alot of things go. It does not matter all the time if someone is wrong and the other is right! U need to pick your battles and try not to fight over anything that is not all that important. When u r setting down rules for the kids,never go against your spouse,unless u debate it in private. Never hold grudges,never go to bed angry,no matter if u r still a little mad at bed time,always kiss and say I love u to each other! Mean it too!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• We've been married over 1.5 years. So far so good. We've had a few small misunderstandings, but the "secret" is listening to each other and being willing to hear the other person out and empathize when something bothers the other. My husband has been willing to sacrifice certain things in order to improve our relationship. That meant a lot to me. They were not big things (we are very compatible) but more issues with his past in-law family.

I would say being adaptable to change so that your marriage thrives.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• 21 years this October... And we dated off and on for 4 years before we got married. I love my husband and can't see myself with anyone else.

The secret... Funny my MIL and I were just talking about it last weekend. We both agreed. (MIL & FIL have been married 44yrs) Love & like are 2 different things, and it is okay not to like your SO everyday. BUT you must LOVE them. You may want to smack them in the face with a frying pan, just for breathing (believe me there will be days he feels the same way). But you have to love him and know that this too shall pass. And when you picture your future, the kids gone, can see just the 2 of you sitting again holding hands and laughing...In love. (Don't worry, you will still have that pan. You just won't need it as often...LOL)
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 12:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• 31yrs there is no secret just work hard yes there are days you want to give up but in the long run no
    how long will this last we all think a life time but do we know what a life time is
    my parents where together for 75yrs and 14 kids 58grandkids and 20greatgrandkids
    and she would done it over again so work at it
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2011