Military question

I have a nephew in a bad situation. I believe it would be in his best interest to join one of the forces. However, he has physical issues. He has pins in his foot, and may or may not have diabetes.

Is one of the branches more accepting of these kind of disabilities than the others? Do you know anyone with similar disabilites who were able to be recruited?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• Chances are probably not with both conditions. If he can get his diabetes under controll and prove that he can run with no problems then the Army might give him a waiver to join. I seriously doubt the other branches would even consider it. If he truly wants to join, have him talk to a recruiter and see what he needs to do.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• He has talked to a recruiter for the Marines, but he is waiting for a return call.
    I was just hoping to point him in one direction without talking to 4 different recruiters.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Honestly, the army is the most lenient. My husband is AD army. I dont know if he can get a waiver with both conditions, the diabetes might be a no-go. Talk to a recruiter, and be honest.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 11:29 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• considering the military gives a complete physical before they will accept him......if hes not sure about the diabetes,he needs to find out, they will not admit him with diabetes.....stress and diabetes is not a good mix and basic training is extremely stressful.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• You will have to check with the Army but honestly, it's highly unlikely.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 11:51 AM on Jun. 9, 2011