I blew it all.........

I have been so desperate the last few weeks not being able to buy groceries, and we had a loaf of bread, 1 egg, 2 cans spaghettios, a can of pizza sauce and that's it. I took my bill money and went to the grocery store ............ I did "shop" and coupon and stuff, but now I am KNOWING how bad it will be again in another week when those bills are screaming!!!!! Tell me I did the right thing?????

Dahis

Asked by Dahis at 12:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• Food, home, and utilities first. Everything else can wait until those get paid. Sure the bill collectors will call and annoy you. But at the end of the day you have to feed your kids.

Do get on a written budget to make sure you aren't wasting any money. And do try to find a local food bank that doesn't have income guidelines.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Could you not have gone to a local food pantry? I'm not going to say you did the wrong thing, because I don't know your personal circumstances, but my family and I would have survived on a couple loaves of bread, a big jar of peanut butter, and a huge box of generic Cheerios for a week!

Answer by missanc at 12:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• yes u did the right thing. food is a necessity. hope things get better for u mama. you should go to a food bank, also most churches give out food it doesn't matter if you are a member of their church or not- they still give.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• What kinda sucks.......the food banks won't give (I make too much money) I've tried about 8-10 of them. We both work full time m-f so the only one that would help you have to volunteer 4 hours M - Thurs....8-4. What a pickle! LOL missanc...we already ate the peanut butter......LOL thanks for ya'lls input!
    Dahis

Comment by Dahis (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• If all the money you makes goes all out to your bills and you can show proof they should still help you.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• You did the right thing. My advice to you would be to utilize your local resources, the food bank is good to help subsidize food in the house so that you can still pay your bills. I hope this helps
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 1:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Personally I would have gone to the food bank first. Ours has no income guidelines. Does your town have a St Vincet de Paul or Cahtolic Charities? Check out the local churches too. I am a business owner and I can tell you firsthand it really hurts when people don't pay their bills. I still have to pay my employees and the rent PLUS I like to feed my family. Contact those you owe and work out a reasonable payment plan and stick to it. Good luck!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It depends on what you bought. Dried beans and lentils are nutritious and inexpensive. Soda, cookies, chips, juice,milk are wasted money and caloriies

Answer by rkoloms at 9:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2011