I guess he thought it was like babies on t.v. shows

Before Molly arived my hubby would always complain about parents taking easy ways out bc they were just lazy. After Molly which is now 4mo. he is doing everything the "easy way" like letting her sleep with us so she won't cry as much. I frown apon. his weekend he said and I quote, "I didn't know it would be this hard". Now I had a son pre-Molly and she is mild compared to him. What was he expecting it to be like? Anyone else go throu the same?

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 12:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't see sleeping with your baby as the easy way, just the natural way, but yeah, I think a lot of people only have the television/movie portrayal of babies to go by, and are shocked by reality. Give him a little break, reality sucks sometimes. ;)
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 3:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• well it's hard to prepare yourself for babies lol. i never had any kind of experience with babies (never even seen a newborn baby let lone hold, feed, etc. before my first kid lol). i guess i was prepared because i took classes at the hospital and always was thinking about the 'worse case scenario' . i was suprised to find that it was not quite that terrible. i guess he just underestimated babies....i wouldn't hold that against him, but i would also remind him that just because something is harder than you thought that is not an excuse to take the easy way out. many times the 'easy' way out just ends up making things harder in the end anyway.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• NO one knows what parenting is going to be like until they're parenting. Just like I can do all the reading and snooping on my peers I want, I still have no idea what's going to be like to parent MY teenagers until they get there. I never expected infancy to be easy - nor did my husband - but there were absolutely plenty of things we assumed we would or would not do that went out the window once the kids actually arrived.

He was viewing parenting with rose colored glasses and got smacked with reality. It happens to lots of people their first time out. Heck, it happens the 2nd, 3rd, etc.... time too and at all various points through the journey.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• my SO is scared to be a daddy, even though he has been around my 2 yr old for the last 9 months and hes great with him.
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It cracks me up that for years he critisized me for how I raised my son and now its like he is well I don't want to say worse but you girls know what I mean.
    Kimkh

Comment by Kimkh (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2011