I am heartbroken...and a bit mad.

My 14 yr old son, who is amazing, had an 8th grade class trip today to Six Flags. He knows we are having money troubles so he never even mentioned it to us!!! I am heartbroken! He deserves to go, his grades and attitude are awesome, and we would have scraped up the money if he had told us! I'm sad and a bit mad at the same time that he didn't even give us the chance to do this for him! What should I say or do for him when he gets home from school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Why would you be mad at him? I think what he did was heartbreaking, but also commendable and even admirable. It shows his love for his family & his selflessness as a teenager- something that's pretty damn rare these days. While you can (and should) be sad that he passed this up, be proud that you've raised someone so considerate.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 12:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I think you should save money and take a family trip there in the future. Seems like a really responsible kid.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Be glad he is considerate enough not to ask.

Answer by older at 12:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Tell him that you love him and that please always let you know about things like this in the future, tell him if you can't afford it YOU will be the one to make the choice. I think you have a pretty awesome kiddo, and I would plan a trip to 6 flags as soon as you can.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I agree with Shanna, save up and take him there and if not there somewhere he has been wanting to go, he sounds like a great kid, be proud of how you have raised him momma, not many parents raise good hearted kids like him , I understand you being upset but set him up with a surprise trip to just say hey we love you and think you deserved this..
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 12:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Squeeze him tight and thank him for being so thoughtful.  If he can still go, give him the money and call the teacher.  What a great kid.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• He is very grown up for his age I think. Knowing you could not aford it. so didn't even ask to go.

Answer by louise2 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Wow, I think he sounds like a great kid... Mine would have never done that. Still to this day they are asking me for money (24 &21) I agree with kimigogo, and just let him know to let you know in the future. but really you do have a great kid growing there....
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• wat he did shows he is mature for his age and respects you enough not to want to put any more stress on you. but maybe you shoul try hiding your financial difficulties from your son. as it seems to be worrying him too.
    Hopeful44

Answer by Hopeful44 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I just thought of something, would they let you take him to 6 flags and then let him go with the rest of his class today? They probably got discounted tickets and only had so many, hopefully it is not too late!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2011