? About kids with extra digits, not sure if anyone can help.

My daughter has six toes on one foot. The toe is a full toe, toe nail, bones and all. she has an extra set of bones all the way up to her ankle. There are no peds in the area that have experiance in this, and the orthopedic surgen is not pediatric, so he won't see her. When she was 1 yr old, we took her to primary children's hopsital to have her evaluated (sometimes extra digits can be a sign of genetic disorders). They gave her the clear, and the surgen told us that all they would do is remove the end toe, not remove all the extra bones in her foot. That we could remove the toe at anytime, but it wouldn't make her foot look normal. So we opted to wait till she was older and can make the choice for herself.

I took her shoe shopping this past week, and we had her feet measured. We have not had to many problems, her regular foot is very narrow, and her 6 toed foot is about normal width, so we have always just put an extra sock on her small foot. Well when we had it measured, her regular foot was a size 8, and her 6 toed foot is a size 9.5. The lady measuring her foot said that she hasn't ever seen that much of a size difference. Our ped doesn't know, and his only advice is to refer back to the children's hospital...which is several hours away. Our ped said, if it doesn't seem to bug, her then I shouldn't worry about it. Dh thinks that I'm overreacting and says its common for people's feet to be two different sizes.

Does anyone know anything about this... does anyone's kids have different shoe sizes? By how much? We were going to take her back to the othro ped when she turned five, she is only 4.

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 12:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I my husband is an orthotist (makes braces and foot orthothics) this isn't as uncommon as you think,, Call Hangar Orthotics in your area and ask them to suggest a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon that has experience in dealing with this, they are located everywhere, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one, she might need orthotics for support in the foot with 5 toes.. good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• PS when you call ask them to speak to a practioner, the receptionist might not know the best one.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i think i would just have it removed. it may cause her emotionally problems later on.
    taragray24

Answer by taragray24 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• thanks for the opinion taragray, but that doesn't answer my question. Cutting off the end toe would not change the size difference in her feet, nor would it make her foot look "normal". We spoke to two different orthopedic surgeons and they both recommended to wait till she was older. The woman in my family have a history of sever reactions to anesthesia. To me, the risk is not worth the benefits. Furthermore, it is her foot, I do not feel that I have the right to cut off a part of her body without her consent unless there is a medically necessary reason to do so.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Daugter, that is why I told you to call someone who has seen this before,, most of my husband's patients did not get thier toes removed, and if you approach it the right way, she could be considered Extra cool, but you realy need to talk to a specialist to make the best choice,, and good for you, it is her body after all!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Kimigogo,

Thanks for the info!! I will call around and see what I can find out. If we have to travel back to Primary's sooner then her 5th birthday, then I guess we have to. Hopefully we can find someone closer. I worry that the growth plates may be different in her foot. I also worry about one of the extra bones in her foot, is slightly curved. But she has yet to complain of any discomfort. We resorted to flip flops for sandals, because none of the supportive sandals fit her right. But I really don't like her wearing flip flops, they offer little protection and no support. But she hates wearing regular shoes, she says her feet get hot. But we do a lot of walking around in the summer, and I get my boys all those sporty hiking sandals.... I would like to get her some too... would your husband happen to know if there is somewhere we can send her measurements and get her custom shoes?
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• PS-they also have a site,, that people who wear different shoe sizes buy the same pair and swap them....I will call hubbs and ask him where it is located at.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

All of the kids that have seen her toes, have said that it was cool... in fact one boy asked if it had super powers...lol.... the only time we have any negative feedback, it comes from adults... sad.

I figure if I can't raise her to see how beautiful and amazing she really is, its not going to matter if she has 6 toes on one foot, or a perfect body... she will find something to hate. Its my job to raise her to love herself, including her "imperfections".
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Okay daughter, called my hubbs, and he said that the website for shoe swap is mostly for adults, but is checking into it. He said that your regular pediatrician can refer you to an orthotic office. the way they make custom shoes is by taking a mold of the foot, and must be done by a professional... don't take her to one of those "special" shoe stores, your going to pay more, and get something off the shelf, did you find a Hangar in your area? If you want to PM me and let me know where you live, i will call hubbs and he might even have a name of someone, I told him that you were getting responses just to have the toe cut off, he said WHAT do people think they are, netering a dog? He had a patient today with 8 toes! He must have had great super powers. I told him about flip flops and he said not enough support. let me know!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=12668289&l=f700d64260&id=637240366

If you can copy and paste that link, its a picture of my daughters feet that I did for her.  

Yeah, many adults have said that we are going to cause her emotional damage by leaving the toe...  people just piss me off, if they can't see past her toes, they aren't worth having in her life.  

daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2011