I am having a c-section on the 15th of this month? Can anyone give me any c-section stories? How does a spinal block feel? How do you feel afterwards?

WaitinOnHer2011

Asked by WaitinOnHer2011 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i have had 3 c-sections. the first emergency and the rest repeats. the spinal is not a big deal....you bend over, they put it in and you're done. it's not like an epidural where they have a catheter in there. i recovered very quickly....i was able to wiggle my toes before they had the baby washed up lol. my hubby is an anesthesiologist and what rosehawk described is not typical. they should take complaints of nausea very seriously because they don't want you to aspirate vomit (but to minimize that you are not allowed to eat or drink x amount of hours before your surgery anyway). sometimes you do feel sick from the meds. so i'm not sure why the dr. wouldn't listen to her about that. but anyway....the emergency one took the longest to recover from because i had severe pre-eclampsia and was on bedrest beforehand and it took a long time for my pressure to go down. the other two i came home from the hospital and cooked dinner lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I had a planned C-section 4 years ago with my daughter. I had really bad heartburn that I had been taking medication to control (still do). So they gave me this horrible lemonade tasting thing to drink (about a shot glass worth) to prevent nausea. It worked but DOES taste vile, which they warned me about before I took it.

Side note: my son was an emergency C-section and I had the same heartburn problems with him. The didn't believe me about the nausea so I wound up vomiting all over the anesthesiologist's patent leather shoes. He wasn't real happy about that.

The spinal wasn't bad. They had me lay on my side and curl up into as tight of a ball as I could. Other than that it just felt likea normal needle poke. It kicks in pretty quickly.

I fell asleep as they were sewing me up, AFTER I'd seen my daughter. I DID have a bad reaction to the spinal though.

CONT
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The procedure for the spinal is painful but nothing you cant breathe through, for me the feeling of going numb was amazing because I had been in labor for 20hrs. Its a weird feeling it starts at your toes and just goes up to your chest, it made me really sleepy too. Getting out of bed the first time is going to be one of the most painful parts of the whole thing. Just remember to look up or straight ahead DONT look down! Im not very good with pain I thought the recovery was very painful but I also didn't take any of the pain meds they gave me because they just knocked me out which makes it hard to take care of a newborn. If you have someone to help you out for the first couple weeks you will do just fine! GL
    HollySebeck

Answer by HollySebeck at 12:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• CONT

I wound up with one of the worst headaches I've ever had, and I'm prone to migraines. The ONLY things that helped were to lay flat on my back or take the pills/meds they wanted me to take. I'm not big on taking pills just to take pills, but if you DO wind up reacting to the spinal, TAKE THE MEDS.

Otherwise I was up and moving, really sore and slow, as soon as they took out the catheter several hours after birth.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• first off its not as scary as ppl make it seem...i was totally freaking about mine but it was an emergency...anywho the actual procedure only took about and hr..i was awake the whole time and knew everything that was happening..after surgery later on that day my meds started wearing off i had a burning pinching sensation where my incision was but i figured out quickly to move diff directions and it will stop..the block is not bad at all and only takes about 5mins...i had alot of air trapped after surgery so i felt bloated the hospital gave me a hot tottie...which is gingerale and apple juice heated in the microwave its AWESOME!!! lol it took out all the pressure and trapped air..next i would suggest getting up and moving around, walk try and flex..when you get home try sleeping in diff positions to get you used to sleeping lying down again..i would lay 15mins one way then 15min another for a few days until i felt well enough
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• to lay completely flat...congrats hope i helped a little
    jorjiegirl

• o and talk to your ob about getting disolving stitches instead of the staples. staples are just an invitation for infection. if they will do the stitches, demand them. it will also lead to less scaring. gl to you and your baby!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Mine was an emergency c-section. I didn't feel the spinal at all, but I had an epidural right before. The spinal didn't take and I had to be knocked out. I didn't get any nausea when I woke up.

Since your's is planned, it will go alot more smoothly than mine. Good luck and congrats!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2011