What time do you think two kids with disabilities should go to bed.

i have two kids. one is 31/2 and gose to a special school. and the othe one is almost two. the othe one is mentally 2 and the other one is on a 9 month level. family services what my kids to go to bed at 8 but i think between 6:30 and 7 pm is better. i dont think you should ever force a chid to stay up if there exasted. i always have to fight with my older son to stay up. when he is so tired by 4 or 5pm.

what do u think i should do. and what time do u think you would put your kids to bed if this is what they did.

taragray24

Asked by taragray24 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well special needs or not, it sounds like they might need a nap! I think that a kid should be able to sleep when they are tired, they probably said 8 oclock because they didn't want it to be later.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i don't see how they could make you keep your kids up until 8 if they are in need of sleep at 7. that's crazy. i base my bedtime on what time they have to get up in the morning and also when they start acting sleepy. i think your bedtime is good...my kids don't have disabilities, but go to sleep at 7 (bc we have to get up at 6)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i have tried to put them for a nap and they refuse to. they probablem is that 6:30 or 7pm is too early. family services people dont have kids and they dont understand that if kids ARE trired they should go to bed. they get up at 7am
    taragray24

Comment by taragray24 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I put my kiddos to bed around 7pm or 730pm my son has ADHD and he is very much about routine :)
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 1:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• You are the parent, it's your choice. I would say around 7.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Why is family services trying to tell you how to parent? Special needs has nothing to do with it. You know your children, you see how they act, and how tired they are, you are the expert. I would suggest going slowly as you adjust bed times. I have twins who have special needs, they are much older now, but when they were little any kind of change was a major challenge. I wild try 7:45, for a few days, then if it needs to be adjusted move it to 7:30. Also in the afternoon, they don't have to sleep, just rest. We had cuddle time with mine. We'd crawl up in my bed and just lay there, I would just talk to them or read a short book.
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 1:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i think even though a child is disable you should treat them regularly a resonable bedtime
    mommyof2tx

Answer by mommyof2tx at 8:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I have a disabled 2 year old. I put her down for naps/bed when she's tired. We had a lot of sleep issues with her because she WOULDN'T sleep when she was tired (like less than 6 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period) and so I used a gentle sleep training method with her (Good Night Sleep Tight) and it worked very well.

We don't deal with family services, and if we did, they wouldn't have the slightest impact on how I parent, since I'm perfectly confident in the fact that I know what's better for my children than they do, since I've been with them every moment since their birth.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 8:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• just lay them down for naps if they act tired
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2011