Where do you find out if something is a scam?

I am wanting to know where to find out if something is a scam and if it is legitment i have check out BBB site is that the only one to get information?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well...as far as working at home opportunities, most non-mlm's aren't scams but that doesn't mean you'll be successful. It's subjective, for any company out there you can google the name with the word "scam" and you'll find sites from angry old reps or customers claiming it's a scam. That doesn't make it so. There are lots of MLM's out there that people are afraid to touch and that you could pour a lot of money into and see no return, but they are perfectly legel and legit. Same with Direct selling companies. But try that....type the business name with the word scam on google or yahoo and just read some of the pages and complaints....and then responses or rebuttals to see what some personal experiences have been!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I usually go to http://www.snopes.com/ they do it on a wide range of things
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 1:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• That's the only place that I know of but I've heard that checking out the companies information is helpful. For instance if they're asking you to pay for fees or shipping and handling right off is supposed to be classified as a scam. Good luck to you!
    -Crystal

Answer by -Crystal at 1:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I got a check in the mail for $3992 two weeks ago. Could not find anything on the internet about it, so I researched all the information that came with the check myself. The company on the check & the letter I recieved with the check didn't match up. The letter said the company was a secret shopper comany but the companies website said they were a ceramic company. The phone numbers didn't match up either. The letter had the phone number from a place in canada, the REAL company was in Ohio. I called the REAL company and they had no idea so I helped them make it known they have scammers using their company name, logo, BANK, BANK NUMBERS and address. I faxed over copies of everything I was sent & they are starting an investigation.

If at all possible, research it yourself. If things don't match up, it's a scam. You could try googling too. I googled and never found anything, except the real companies website.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• If it sounds too good to be true, it's likely a scam. There is no guaranteed way to find out for certain if something is a scam, but it's really not hard to figure out if you research and go with your gut feeling.
    Anonymous

• I have accumulated information to discern scams check out my at helpingpeople1.tumblr.com Questions you Should ask article. I hope this helps I also have posted other info there that is useful.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 1:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Most of them you can tell just by googling them
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• GO TO THE BANK! If anyone sends you a check go to the bank and ask. They have lists of scammers and they Security Officer should be able to help out if you're unsure.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 2:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The BBB is the best way to see if it's legitimate.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I would stick to the BBB.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011