Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was wondering what those homes are called ? where u move them

i know they are not trailer homes because they are much bigger .. its where they take a huge semi truck and move it to whatever land u own or what ever ? do you know what these are called and are they worth buying ? do they get damaged easily? anyone know of any links of these homes .. i hope you know what im talking about ... they are big homes .. they have like 3 bedrooms and 2 baths and stuff like that

Answer Question

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

Level 14 (1,572 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Do you mean the pre-fabs? I believe that's what they are called.

    Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • They are called manufactured or pre-fabricated homes.

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • Pre-fabs. They usually come in 2 peices and are made at a central location and shipped by semi to the customer. I know lots of people who have them and love them. You can custom design whatever you want.

    Answer by Shanna84 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • yes, they are pre-fabs as other people said. they are very nice and sturdy. the people that move them do it for a living....they know how to do it lol

    Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • yeah they are right they are called pr-fabs and they for the most part are safe but i would not recommend getting on if you live in a area where tornados are common they don;t do so well.

    Answer by amberpaiz at 1:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • im looking online right now but theirs no pricing .. on average for a 3 bed how much do u think it would cost? thanks girls

    Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • Manufactured and pre-fab are two different things. Manufactured homes are built to mobile home standards, though often come in very large sizes.
    Pre-fabs are stick built on site then assembled at your location.
    They arent' that much cheaper than stick-builts, but they are a bit cheaper. The ones I were looking at were $85 sq/ft.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • There is no basic price - there are so many options for everything, inside and out, that a 3-bed home could run you anywhere from $80k to over $200k. My bro & SIL put one up last year and I know it cost them around $150k for the house only - putting the basement in was extra, putting sewer/water/electric lines to the house was more, the land was of course the company you go with makes a difference. There are so many variables it's hard to say "a 3-bed will cost you roughly XX".

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • Modular.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • Modular homes are built to site built homes specs and are moved and put together on your property. They are deeded like a traditional house.
    Mobile, or manufactured housing is a "trailer" with the axles remaining on the home after it is placed on the property with a title to the home (like a car) and a deed to the land separate.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Home & Garden

Next question overall (Tweens (9-12))
What should I do?