When answering a post

more of a vent
how come when most people answer a post it seems like they didn't read the question all the way through. Not only have I gotten answers that I stated I tried it in the question or something along that nature, but I have read others questions and noticed the same.

A few things I notice
Someone telling them to try something they stated they tried
Someone answering a part that wasn't even the question
Someone asking not for spacifics and getting those spacifics as answers

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 1:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I always read the entire question unless it's half a page long. I don't want to look like a dummy when I answer. lol
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i think that sometimes and im not sure if this applies to you or not i havent read your posts, people start to read the question and if it's really long they summarize in their head and then make a guess at the answer they think you want. Also if people are just looking to get their credits for the day they will just answer to get the points. I hope that this answers what might be happening and that it gets better.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 1:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I see it aaaalllllll the time. I think some people just skim the question and I think some people only read the title. And some people.. well some people just don't have great reading comprehension skills.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• That's the trick of asking a question - you have to make your title line specific enough that people will read it, but vague enough that there's nothing for them to answer based only on answering that question. If you don't force them to read the info on the inside, a lot of people won't. The best way to shut them down is to do what you did here - not ask an actual question in the subject line. If you have a potty training question, say "Potty Training concern" and then put the actual question inside. Either they'll read it, or they're lazy and they'll move on, but you'll see a lot less BS answers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i would go with what not panik is saying. I try hard to read the whole question before I answer
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Maybe they did read the question but just missed the part where they said they had already tried something or they feel they have more info on the subject they thought would help the OP.... otherwise idk
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2011