Does it seem like...

When the assumed minority religions like atheism, paganism, ect. are not allowed the basic rights they deserve whether through laws or the common persona intolerance to live their life the way they wish with out consitant contest it is simply said just deal with it. While when the self proclaimed majority (Christianity as a whole) Is questioned challenged, questioned or even given an alternative many are up in arms screaming intolerance. Is this not an oxymoron?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• i don't know that its an oxymoron..but some groups of people are simply more vocal. you'll find quieter peeps in any category of 'beliefs'..and you'll find loud obnoxious, always-got-to-be-heard peeps when you go looking for them.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• There's a lot to be said for perspective (on both sides here).

Story time: When living in Utah (where religiously most people don't drink). I had two co-workers who did drink. One said she always saw people giving her dirty looks whenever she ordered a drink, the other said "really? I never noticed that."

They live in the same town, go to the same restaurants, the only difference was the way they see the world. Their personalities reflected this, the first was often bitter, and the second was very happy-go-lucky.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 1:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• DK that doesn't mean much I can go out and guys will check me out I don't notice it because I look at the floor and never make eye contact I have had way to many psychos and stalkers in my life. However my friends who are with me will notice it and point it out to me because they are paying more attention. All your story shows is one is overly observant where the other is not paying attention.

Dull though I some what agree with what you say, however if that were the case then all the believers who yell at non believers for being loud and up noxious better shut it because they means that obviously it is quite the contrary/
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• There is a definite lack in society to "put yourself in someone else's shoes". That's why we've had such cruel events and laws like Jim Crow, internment camps, forced moves of Native Americans, and the current bans on gay marriage. The majority wants what is best for themselves, but when faced with the consequences of what they are doing to others, they still think it is the best option for the majority, and everyone just needs to learn to deal with it.

It's short-sighted, so the minorities do have to speak up and protest to make their issues known.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• They were both observant and sharp ladies, bur they saw what they wanted to see. The first saw more dirty looks than I would say were reasonably reaaly there, and the second saw less.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 1:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• anng Great assessment thank you.

DK how is it you know that were you there? If not again you don't know just them saying so or usually being that way does not mean thats how they are in there situation. Not to mention I can tell you for a fact in Utah people do you give you dirty looks just for buying smokes. I've had it happen I've even been told miss that is not an appropriate thing to buy how bout some gum. Now I do believe that you may be correct that one might have over reacted the sit while the other over looked it but that was the point I was making.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• No, it does not seem like that to me but then again- I live in an area where its pretty live and let live- like I have said before- here in Denver its more like "do you recycle" than "do you pray"-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I worked with them a long time, and was well aquaited with their perspectives...I don't reject the idea of dirty looks happening at all, I just don't believe chance could actually have one getting more vastly more dirty looks than another.

On both sides here I see a lot of folks that are looking to be offended, that want to be the martyre...do real offenses happen? Yes...and people see a lot more of it, when they're looking for it, sometimes interpreting honest questions for cruelty, etc.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 2:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I think some people just like to feel persecuted bc it makes their faith feel more "real".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• ..^and that can also go both ways, in a manner of speaking.
    op, i didn't single out any or either 'side' of the coin. you seem so defensive for no reason.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2011