Can I get emergency custody for this???

My children are with their father and step-mother. Her (step-mothers) daughter told her that my daughter was talking badly about their (step-family's) grandmother. (It gets less complicated I swear.) Well, what she says in response is what I am so concerned about. Her reply to HER daughter is, "Well, go talk badly about their DEAD grandmother." This of course being my mother and not their father's mother. My mother passed away after a horrible battle with cancer that my children lived through too, just a few years ago and was the second closest person to my children, me being the first. I am SHOCKED and APPALLED. She later apologized and said she was just mad and didn't know what to say. My thoughts are... well for one REALLY??!! For two, If you are angry and something just pops out of your mouth do you really have the wits about you to make sure to reference the grandmother not associated with your husband? I am borderline between thinking she is just evil and doesn't give a care about my kids in the slightest and wondering if she is just that self-centered. Can you even get emergency custody for something like this??? They are 1,000 miles away at their Dads whom they visit every summer for six weeks... and this is just the beginning. Help!!! Ugh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think so, so sorry about the whole thing!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• In a nutshell, no.
    You need to prove at least partly that they are not fit to be parents. Self-centered doesn't cut it.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the honesty.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I doubt it. But I WOULD document stuff like this. Eventually, if stuff like this continues (or gets worse) you MIGHT be able to change the custody agreement.

I'm sorry you have to deal with a stepmonster. As hard as it will be, TRY to be teh better person and not stoop to her level of stupidity.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Thanks Rosehawk, and I am handling this in the best way I can for the benefit of the kids. My oldest daughter is twelve and doesn't want to go back. The step-mom was also talking badly about me to them. They were ticked. I told them to just try and get through the rest of the six weeks, they will be home before they know it. I just don't understand how anyone could try to justify something as cruel as that. It makes me sick.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• no you have to prove that they dont have a good, stable home or that they are mistreated in some way. just mean wont stand in court.
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Your oldest, I believe, is old enough to the courts to be able to make her own decisions. If they don't want to be there, I don't think they should be forced into it. Maybe it's time to go back to family courts and possibly amend the visitation.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011