What is important to you in a candidate?

What would make or break your vote?
Do you vote because of the social beliefs of a candidate or the fiscal beliefs of a candidate? Sure you can care about both but would you vote for a pro abortion but fiscally conservative person over a fiscally conservative person who was pro life? There are other things that come into a decision to pull the lever for a certain person but it pretty much boils down to social or economical issues. What is more important to you?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• My Top 3 Priorities

1. Fiscal Responsibility/ Fiscal Mgt Experience.
    2. Defense/Military Experience
    3. Business Experience
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I am completely socially liberal but mostly fiscally conservative, so I will never find the perfect candidate. For me, it comes down to how far they lean in either direction. Anyone who leans way off to one side scares me a bit, and I doubt they can do much unless they would be able to meet people somewhere toward the middle.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• honest would be one, but since that doesnt exist in the political world..
    1-economic issues is first
    2- experience in military and economics
    3-finally if they are too extreme is an issue for me on issues like pro-choice/pro-life etc. i dont want an extremist that is going to make it their agenda to focus solely on that issue.
    I finally then look at where they stand on these issues after eliminating those that are extremists, or inexperienced, or have no want or need to try to fix the economy(or has plans that I feel will worsen them).
    for example.. I'm pro-gun, pro-choice, pro- separation of church and state, and pro-gay marriage
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Their platform. Their POV on what issues are most important at the moment and their plan of action to address those issues. The goals they might have for their possible term and again their plan for meeting those goals. Previous job experience and voting patterns are of interest. IMO, social issues need to be far, far distant concerns. If a candidate is hyper-focused on social issues (especially in our current economic climate), I would have a difficult time supporting that candidate. I have zero need to know anything about  a candidate's religious background or belief systems-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• There are no single issues that i can identify (at the moment) that would make or break my vote. It's really about the whole package to me. For example, our county executive is about as conservative as they come but he's done a phenomenal job managing this county and i probably won't vote for anyone but him. Point by point we probably disagree on most issues but we still arrive at similar solutions.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• 1. Fiscal Responsibility/ Fiscal Mgt Experience.
    2. Defense/Military Experience
    3. Business Experience

^^^^This!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• 1. Fiscal Responsibility/ Fiscal Mgt Experience. 2. Defense/Military Experience 3. Business Experience

Thanks grly!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Good looks! hheheehehe
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• environmental and animal rights are the first thing for me...don't care what people think but it makes it or breaks it for me
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I have a hard time understanding why people choose "platform" over experience/resume. I would take an experienced businessman/ former military leader/etc... who has a record of getting out of difficult situations over that of an eloquent inexperienced academic with little to NO leadership/effective problem solving experience/skills.... Anyone can be marketed to sound like they know what they are talking about..... (See current POTUS)..... It takes someone with REAL know how, experience, and leadership ability to LEAD.... Maybe that's just me...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2011