• In the Spotlight:

How important is recieving a Thank You note after attending someone's party?

If weeks go by and you don't get a Thank You card for attending someone's party or wedding, are you offended or would you ever even notice?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I've never received a thank you note for just attending. I don't think you send thank yous for just showing up. You do however send them if you received a gift, but if I had not gotten a thank you card, call or anything I wouldn't think it's rude or offensive or whatever......chances are they've already said thank you at the party/wedding/shower.

BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 1:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I would not notice one bit.

I had a bunch of crazy events happen after my wedding & i did not send out cards until 3-6 months later. I mailed them out practically one at a time because my life was so crazy. Some people were offended, I heard through the grapevine that people were saying "gosh, are they going to send out thank-you cards?" or people were asking each other if they received one. So, yeah...people were talking about the fact that my thank you cards were late. I honestly don't care. If a thank you card means so much to someone & they expect one so badly because they think that's how it should be done, then i would assume that person is kind of shallow. There are more important things to worry about than getting a thank you card IMO.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i would wonder about whether they received my gift, if i weren't there to witness it..and for that, i'd expect a thank-you note/card..something to let me know they did, in fact, receive it.
    if i just attended, with no gift, i wouldn't expect a thing.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Well I wouldn't expect a thank-your for attending a party, I would expect one for giving a gift at a wedding, but not just attending one. I would say 6 weeks is long enough for the wedding gift. I would maybe call the bride to make sure she got it, or the card did not get lost off of the gift,, I had 3 wedding gifts, that I had no idea where they came from.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• If I gave a gift then it would really bother me. I think that is classless & rude not to send a Thank you note or at least call & say thank you when you attend a Party & give a gift. I have always received a Thank you for all the Weddings I have attended. But, I attended a 30th Birthday party for a family member on my DH's side many years ago & gave a beautiful & expensive pair of 14k gold earrings & never received a thank you at all. She should have known better especially at 30 years old. I never attended another of her birthday parties after that.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i agree...if there as no gift, then don't expect a card. Good point....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I have never heard of a thank you note for attending a party. I have never gotten one. Just for the gift. I would not notice if I didn't get one. I just get them, read them and throw them right in the trash. They are a waste f my time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2011