HELP; MY 5 YEAR OLD HAS THE WORST ATTITUDE LATELY!

Well moms, I don't know where it came from but my 5 year old son Peter has the worst attitude lately; I can punish him, take away toys; put him in time out and he just doesn't care. He is driving me crazy lately; he just does not listen to a thing I say. He has this attitude lately like he's above listening. My dh says that I don't dicipiline him enough; i don't know what else to do.

Jerseymom1228

Asked by Jerseymom1228 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Part of it is just his age. My DD is 6 and she's acting the same way. She's even started flat refusing to do things that she doesn't want to do! It's not lack of discipline- we are very consistent with all our kids. I think they pick up some of it from other kids at school or something. We decided just to remain consistent with her discipline and hope that this phase passes quickly! lol
    coolmommy3

Answer by coolmommy3 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Need to sit him down and have a lone talk and ask why is he having a bad attitude. It could be that something happen to him. Talk, talk, talk, and tell him how you feel when acts like that. And if he needs to be dicipiline ask him what do you think we should take away or do. He will punish him self. Trust me.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• DId he start kindergarten yet?

My 6 year old has had a major attitude change since he started school..preschool even. I think what doesn't help is that they see what other kids are getting away with and trying it for themselves. My son's big things are throwing fits and yelling that he either doesn't like us, isn't our friend or hates us.

luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 4:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Just be consistent in your discipline and try to be patient with him. As our kids grow, I think our parenting styles need to grow with them. What once worked when they were 2 or 3 doesn't work anymore at the ages of 5 or 6.
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 4:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2008