What can I do for my cat's fleas?

Our indoor cat got himself outside a few weeks ago and managed to pick up fleas. I didn't notice until he was covered because he was mad at us and kept to himself for several days. I have tried the stuff you squirt on their necks and a flea collar, but he's still so itchy. Is there anything else i can do for him to get rid of these horrible things?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 1:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Pets

• did you get the good kind like advantix or frontline? The crappy stuff at the super market does not work.

My sister uses D earth. It's a mineral & you can find it at healthfood stores. She sprinkles it on her cat once a week & she swears it works wonders for fleas & ticks. It's safe, there are no harmful chemicals in it. I have not tried it yet, but i wlll...as son as i get to that healthfood store...

You can give him a flea bath, that will get rid of the fleas the quickest. Then after he dries, I'd put the flea medication on him to keep then from coming back.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The squirt stuff takes a few days to work, you need to flea spray your house, and use a different type of spray for kitty,, he will not be pleased,, lol!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I've used dawn dishsoap..it works great for fleas! just give him a bath and use dawn.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• If he is still itchy, he is probably allergic to the fleas. what flea product did you use? If it was one of the over the counter products like Hartz then he probably still has fleas. The collar only keeps the flea away from the neck it will not keep them off the animal. You might need to get some prednizone from the vet to stop the itch.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Bath with flea soap, spray the house, and then the drops... if you can buy one tube of the good stuff from your vet at a time, that's the best way. if you have more than one animal, you can buy the dose for the large dog (it's all the same stuff in the tube for the cats and dogs) and use a syringe (without a needle of course) to put it on the animals in the recommended dosage.
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Get medicated flea/tick shampoo, after washing him thuroughly use the flea comb to comb him out, put on the flea collar, try that drop stuff for his neck, but another good thing is to get the flea traps they're like sticky paper sort of like fly paper and put those up around your home and those catch the fleas that jump off and jump back on. You might have to give him a few baths before you get em all. As for the itchiness i think there might be a lotion or sauve or something you could get him to calm down his irritated skin. Good Luck!
    youngmum87

Answer by youngmum87 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I use the hartz product for my cats and it works great!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Please do not use Hartz on your cats it is dangerous. I worked at a vet clinic for 13 years and saw many animals(more cats then dogs) come in with neurological problems caused by Hartz.. Some recovered and some only partially and then there were many that did not make it.

http://www.hartzvictims.org/

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Frontline works good.
    C.Parrish

Answer by C.Parrish at 2:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2011