My DH wants a "status house"

We sold our house and are closing on it in Late July. We aren't having an easy time finding a house even with the housing how it is right now.. My husband acts if none of them are good enough or something.. we found a short sale in a upscale neighborhood for a price we could afford but we would have to walk in to major repairs of the roof and carpet which would total almost $20k which we don't have but if they take the offer we are thinking of, it would be possibly to get a loan for those major repairs.. however its a short sale and a messy one at that - but since he's seen this house, everything else in the "normal" range of sq footage and areas are all of a sudden not good enough for him.. I don't know what to do - 7 weeks and we won't have a house.. he's always had champagne taste on a beer budget but I am afraid its carried over.. how can we get on the same page? or do we wait out this particular short sale, suck it up and stay with my mom and when/if it doesn't work out and have to look again hope he comes around back to reality? I think its more of a status buy he wants - which I can't relate to one bit.. I just want a house we can live happy in..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think you need a heart to heart with your banker. The short sale house may be the way to go. The housing market may be crap now..but it will get better. BTW..be thankful you were able to sell your house! We are moving to another state at the end of the month and have given up trying to see our home..we are going to lease it instead.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• use your brain, and don't buy a "fixer upper" live within your means, or you could ruin your life! If that means renting do it. You need to get and read dave ramseys stuff and maybe even call in his show. check out his website etc.
    strawberryLVR

Answer by strawberryLVR at 1:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Maybe think about buying land, putting a trailor on it and building a house. Thats what we are going next year. You both get what you want but you arent put in the poor house.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 1:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• can y'all rent a house until you find the perfect one?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Well this Status house is cheaper than the normal houses out there -it just needs TLC... so we could pay over $200 for a normal size house that will never really go up in value or walk in to a house that is $170 , and needs new roof and carpet but just us walking in we would make an instant 50k of equity because its a short sale..
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I guess I don't understand why you would have sold your current house without having another one lined up to live in?
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• maybe you should rent, with a month-to-month or short term lease, and keep looking

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Well it took almost a year to sell the house and we looked in the beginning but then ended up falling in love with ones that ended up being bought while we were still waiting on selling our house.. time wise, its not easy to sell and find your perfect home within the same time line.. really...
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Real estate maxim - location, location, location!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011