Elevated liver enzymes

The dr did some blood work last week and
said that my 4 year old son had elevated liver
enzymes. We are doing more blood work but
I'm concerned. Anyone else have this problem?
He is gaining weight and doing good in other areas.

Ebell22

Asked by Ebell22 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i recently had elevated levels as well and they re-tested me in a few weeks and it was normal. they said it could have been from any medication like cold stuff or from some types of food and even because of stress after re-testing everything was good so maybe have them re-test?
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 2:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• an extra question why were they doing blood work? dr's dont normally do blood work on 4 yr olds.
    takes_a_village

• Well sorry I'm sleep deprived! He is about 4 months.
    I took him to the dr because he was lethargic.
    They did blood work twice last week and are
    Scheduled to do it again next week to check again.
    Ebell22

Comment by Ebell22 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I recommend that you keep asking questions till you get all the answers you need. Why did they do this test? What do your Doctors think are the possible reasons for elevated liver enzymes? Do the members of your family drink enough fluids...not soda pop! Do you have a hereditary liver problem in your family? Has your family been exposed to Hepatitis A, B, or C? Does Hemachromatosis run in your family? Have you been eating a lot of shellfish? So many questions, so many answers... Medicine is just starting to recognize hidden problems that make childrens lives harder. Whenever one of my children was diagnosed with something out of the ordinary I always took them to see a Natural Doctor to expand on the care from the Doctors who diagnosed them. Often, diet changes and supplements made a big difference, and led to faster healing. Kinesiologists, Practitioners of Chinese Medicine, Chiropractors, have all helped.
    Josefsdotter

Answer by Josefsdotter at 2:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2011