Wondering what to do in this situation....

My daughter will be 3 in August...well, we are VERY careful about what we say around her...we don't even say the word FAT, we spell it....regardless of what it is in reference to. Well, twice now, once at Target and once out to dinner last night, my daughter has said, "look, big tummy"....now in MY opinion that's not a BAD thing to say , but I don't think she realizes what she's actually saying..I dont' think anyone up to this point has heard her...she says it very quietly. We calmly explained to her that that's not nice to say...now, she is also the type that the bigger deal you make the more likely she is to say it...Im wondering if it's better to just ignore it and hope she gets sick of saying it, or if I should keep explaining it to her....

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 2:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids will say things that they have heard from other people. It's just how they learn about things. You can tell her that it's not nice, but like you said, the more you make it a big deal she is more likely to say it.

She is only 3....she is most likely going to say A LOT of things she shouldn't say. Because, well, we are human.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• She is just saying what she is seeing. You really can't do anything about it. My kids have said some EMBARRASSING things! Luckily their speech was so bad no one could understand them!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• She's not being mean, she's just noticing things that are (probably) out of her realm of "normal." If a man walked by with a three foot long beard I'm sure she would say something about it because most people don't have three foot long beards. And I don't think that man would be offended if he heard her, he's probably proud of his beard lol. Now, with overweight people they might get offended, but it's still true. And try as you might, you will not have a politically correct 3yo by your side. Kids point out the obvious that everyone else is pretending not to notice. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. You can tell her not to talk about other people but it will be a while until she grows out of it.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i think she is just pointing out what she sees. my daughter said yesterday, that a man needed to pull up his pants - he was leaning on a railing and you could see his bare rear - she just said what she saw.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 3:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I would just explain to her that if she says that and the person heard her that would make them very sad and we don't want to make people sad. We want to make people happy. When I was her age my mom told me "When you see something that's different about a person, look for something you think makes them pretty/handsome." My mom likes to tell everyone the story about her three year old walking into a restaurant and seeing a woman with a burn on her face and saying to her "You're hair is really pretty."
    Anonymous

• Kids have no filters. I am a big girl and if a toddler said I had a big tummy I would say yes I do. lol My eight year old son still has no filter. She will learn in time.
    Steph1499

Answer by Steph1499 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i must say your"s parenting skills r great cause my 3 year said dam & now wewe try watch our words & other people
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2011