Would you divorce?

My Aunts husband told her that into their 5th year of marriage he had a six month affair and stopped it. They have been married for 25 years now so it was almost 20 years ago. She wasnts a divorce. Would you? Since than hes been faithful. That 5th year they lost their 2 year old in a car accident he was driving in and it was really hard year for them. I really want them to work it out.

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 2:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• D-I-V-O-R-C-E!!!!! They have been living a lie this whole time!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• no, I would not, but it is up to her.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Did she just find out or has there been resentment growing and poisoning their relationship for the past 20 years?
    If she just now found out and never had any suspicions I would say working it out would be possible. If this has been eating away at her for all these years, though, and finally come into the open, there may not be much anyone can do.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Me personally.

I have been through infidelity, I know how painful it is, I know the issues it brings up, I know the doubts the concerns and the fears that all come along with it.

However, if it had happened that many years prior, and I had no knowledge of it until now (and especially taking into consideration the state of our marriage/our lives and all those entail at the time) I would be hurt, I would be angry, however I would have to take everything/all circumstances into consideration. In doing so, Based solely on what you have shared here, I would not choose divorce.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• She just found out two weeks ago. I dont know why he told her but he did. She had no clue.
    whitenena

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I'd get counselling before making that decision to see if the marriage was worth keeping.

I'm sure your aunt feels very hurt and betrayed at this point, understandably.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The only problem I see is that you dont know that he has been faithful. He lied for 2o yrs about this one so whats to say he still isnt. I understand there was a rough situation there and I would want them to work it out but she does need to consider the idea that he might be hiding more.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• NO, why should they he did not even have to tell her about it and she would have never known...................He made a mistake years ago it is over, this is exactly why people should not get married they divorce so easily. It has probably ate at him and he felt he needed to come clean its over with it was years ago if it happened last week or recently then it would be different. How are they living a LIE, he did not lie he just chose not to tell her............20 years ago that's a long time to just throw away, I wish them all the luck
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 2:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I would have a hard time trusting him... i would constantly rethink all of those years and doubt everything... I am sure we would atleast seperate for awhile...
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 2:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• That is a really tough situation and only after she takes her time and analyzes everything can she make a concious and final choice. She should ask herself if he had never told her would she want to divorce or is she happy with him
    DaniGrl07

Answer by DaniGrl07 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2011