What age does your baby hold there own bottle?

My daughter will be 8 months old this Friday, and she still can't hold her own bottle, at what do they usually start doing that?

Tigger555

Asked by Tigger555 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mines 5 months and is just getting good at it
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My oldest held it - never!! He wouldn't and he was my first so I did it. He was fine with everything else. My younger 2 were around 6-7 months I think.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My baby is 6 months and still want hold hers.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Mine started around 4-5 months. But some of my friends' babies never did it. Everyone's different!
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 2:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My daughter started holding her bottle at 4 months old.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 2:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• mine is ten months and she just started feeding herself the bottle a few weeks ago at 9 months. now i just had it to her and let her feed herself on the floor
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My son NEVER did - the more you tried to have him learn, the less he was willing..that's ok though - its such a short time so I didn't mind
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Never. I breastfed, so I held my baby every time I fed him, and I would have done the same if I had bottlefed. Feeding is a thing of comfort and bonding for a baby, and he should be feeling these feelings of comfort with his mother, not the food source itself (wonder why it can be so hard to wean babies from the bottle? they are emotionally attached, that is their comfort item). They're only on the bottle for a year or so...you can work on them feeding themselves with a cup and spoon, but why not hold and snuggle your baby to bottlefeed him?
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 2:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Bottle feeding is a great time for maternal child bonding if you are not breastfeeding. My mother propped bottles for her babies from day one it seemed, so all of hers held bottles early. I was the oldest of 10 children, 9 of whom grew up to be healthy adults, and some grew up to be parents. All of us sisters who had children, decided to breastfeed our children. I can't imagine ever putting any of my children in a crib with a towel to prop up a feeding bottle... My advice is to hold and cuddle your baby for as long as you can. Feed them the bottle until they are sitting up, eating solid food, and want a glass of water with their meal. If you worry that they should have the skill for bottle holding, get one of the smaller size bottles, or better, a sippy cup, and give them water when they are in the stroller, so they can sip water while you push. Self held bottles should only contain water! IMO
    Josefsdotter

Answer by Josefsdotter at 2:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It's not a milestone. Not every baby holds their own bottle. Some do it really early, some do it later, some never do. If your child doesn't want to, don't try to force her to.
    Anonymous