How much do think is reasonable to spend on gas/lunch etc,, in a week?

Both DH and I have to drive alot for our jobs, so we both need 2 full tanks of gas (approx) a week that is about $180 in gas alone,, I spend approx $50 on lunch, drinks, and what not, hubbs is spending sometimes as much as $100. I told him that I think $50 is plenty, we are trying to save money, and he thinks that this is something that does not need to be cut back on. It is hard for both of us to take our lunch, as we are in the car most of the day? Any suggestions?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 2:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• Hubby uses about $40 in gas a week(he drives my liitle bug to save). He may spend $20 a week for lunch. I usually make his lunch.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Cut back elsewhere, If you both are in the car that much, and you can't take lunch, then not much else you can do. Are there other areas you can cut back on??
    ShelbysHope76

Answer by ShelbysHope76 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I know I spend at least $6 on lunch and $2 on coffee everyday.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My dh drives 30-40 min of of the county for work. He spends around $60 in gas. He spends less then $25 for lunch. I complain about that. You take your own lunch. You buy your own drinks before you go to work and keep them in a lunch box with a cold pack. You can buy a 6 pack of 16 oz drinks for $3-4 compared to buying 1 at a store for $1.50. I make my husband 6 inch sub sandwiches using sandwich kits. You get enough meat for 14 sandwiches for $7.99. The bread is not much and I use 6 inch sub bread. I also pack him small bags of chips (3 for $1) and an apple.

Answer by gemgem at 2:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My DH and I have argued about the same thing. Maybe you could each keep a ledger journal of what you are spending your money on for a couple of weeks? Or put money in an envelope? Then discuss where you might be able to fit in some drinks or snacks bought in bulk, and kept in a small cooler. Is there any way you could meet for an occasional meal together while you are both on the road? Could you join a health club together and meet there after work a couple of days a week? I used to walk a mile, on one of my public transportation routes to save 80 cents, only to find that my DH was spending twice that on a soda at a convenience store every morning! Now I buy his soda in bulk, on sale. If he must have that bad habit, at least it is cheaper buying it that way. Oh, and I put a small cooler in every car we own!
    Josefsdotter

Answer by Josefsdotter at 2:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I work full time, but at most I spend only about $10/week on food/snacks. I always bring my lunch and make tea to drink at my office. Try to think of different ways to bring in your lunch; not all lunches are perishable. Use a thermos for your coffee. Consider if you pay $2/day for coffee like someone said above, that's $520 each year for coffee. If BOTH of you are doing just $2/day for coffee, you're spending over $1000 a year buying coffee. Really consider that! And that's only if you get a single cup a day!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• DH and I take our lunch and when possible just get up early and he takes me to work or vis a versa. If you are in the car a lot, thinks like wraps and other cold cuts can be your friend. If we can't make it at home, then we just don't have it. Of course there are times that we splurge but they are rare. It was very hard for us to get to this point because we used to eat out at least one meal a day. We realized that combining that with groceries we were spending well over $1000 a month for food and there is only 3 of us in the house. Two weeks of being discplined about it and you guys will be completely used to the change. Start small and don't have unreasonable expectations and you can do it! Good luck.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• I forgot to answer the direct question.... For two drivers in Indiana (and we are in the top 5 states with the worst gas prices right now) we spend about $55 a week. We parked both of our SUVs and drive a little Chevy Cobalt. For our lunch I would say we spend about $25 for two weeks. (I got to the deli right before closing and get all of our lunch meat at less than a $1 a lb and eat a fresh produce.) We stockpile and freeze. I hope that helps a little.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Pack more lunches.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2011