I guess I am a scumbag....

I advertized for a babysitter on Craigslist for the summer, and actually had an applicant turn down an interview because DSS (dept of social services) would be paying her. So I guess this makes me and my family scumbags. My husband and I both work, pay our taxes and our bills and take good care of our children. Just because we've fallen on hard times and are utilizing the services available to us does NOT make us bad people. We're not unemployed, on welfare, abusing the system etc. She made me feel bad about myself though....

Kari727

Asked by Kari727 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, I I would think DSS would be a very reliable way to be paid!

You know you're doing the right thing, I can't imagine anybody begrudging you help for childcare so you can work hard to get more money. Good for you!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• More then likely, it's because it wouldn't be able to be under the table, she would have to claim it on her taxes. It prob is nothing personal.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Oh fuck her!! Lots of people are going through hard times & at least you guys are trying!!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I wonder if she had a bad experience in the past or is somehow worried that they wouldn't pay her on time or something. If it's me, I guess I don't much care who writes the check as long as I get paid. Maybe she has something on her record that she doesn't want DSS to know about her, or if she owes tax money or something maybe DSS can hold onto it. I don't know, I'm just saying maybe there's another reason. I am sure you're not a scumbag, everyone needs a little help from time to time. I work with a woman who might be quitting because she can not find any affordable child care for her two children when they are out of school for the summer. Most childcare costs more than she makes.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Don't worry about her. I know people that don't want to take DSS because they say they don't get paid for a long time and it's sporadic. I hope you guys get out of the rut you're in soon! Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2011