Would it be bad to resume having sex a couple days before 6 weeks postpartum?

like 3 days before 6 weeks? what could happen? thanks!

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• None of my providers ever told me I had to wait six weeks. They all said it was fine to resume sex as soon as the bleeding was totally stopped, if I felt up to it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• No problem Have at it and have fun!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Not a problem just protect yourself because you really are already fertile.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• You are not definitely already fertile. Especially if you're breastfeeding. I'm so so so tired of that myth. You COULD be fertile. It's possible. But fertility is significantly reduced during the 8 weeks postpartum (even if not breastfeeding) and it's almost entirely suppressed if you are fully breastfeeding on demand.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The fact is, there are women out there who are extremely fertile & don't take precautions because they think it's suppressed bc of breastfeeding or whatever. So telling her to use protection is absolutely a smart thing to do if she's not wanting more babies.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 2:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Yes, use protection. Wasn't arguing that. But telling her "you're super fertile" is ridiculous. Fertility is suppressed after childbirth, period. It's anatomically a dead fact, you can't dispute it. Do women become pregnant during that time? Yes. But women also become pregnant for the first time in their 40s and the chacnes of that are slim too.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Nothing is wrong with it unless u want 2 babies in diapers!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• haha well im getting the iud and will use condoms i was just making sure i wouldnt hurt anything. my appt is in a few days and i was going to wait til then anyways to get the green light lol but i just wanted to know. thanks!
    xunlucxyx0

Comment by xunlucxyx0 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Amen, Ego. I hate it when people say you're super fertile right after birth. Biologically, it just doesn't make sense. Whether you believe in evolution or design, it would be a pretty bad design if females kept getting pregnant immediately after birth. Doesn't bode well for the species. ;) It happens, but it's much more rare than people think.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 3:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• We did before 6 weeks and it was just fine!
    nwmommy75

Answer by nwmommy75 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2011