Insect bites and sunburn?

We have one of those walk-in clinics for non emergencies in one of our department stores. Listed on the items you can be seen for were insect bites and sunburn. This had me scratching my head. What could a nurse practitioner do for you for these that you couldn't just get an OTC med for? If either of these were bad enough to seek medical help,wouldn't you need the emergency room?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Perhaps if there are people out there who have never heard of a little thing called sunblock, there are people out there who don't know how to treat a sunburn at home?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Nurse practioners can deal with a lot more than you think. They CAN write scripts so if there is something easily treated with something not OTC, then pay the $52, not the $600 for the ER, and get the meds... Easy as that. I have never used them, but I have heard some got so they don't have to pay the insane ER bill
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Free samples??
    ShelbysHope76

Answer by ShelbysHope76 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• No,you need to pay $52 to be seen

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Well, if you don't want to pay the crazy ER bill to make sure you don't have sun poisoning, or like my dh, he is very allergic to mosquetos and when his foot was swollen, if I hadn't already had the medication on hand I could have taken him there. Nps can write prescriptions....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• They will just direct you to the ER if you come in really sick,you aren't actually seen.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• That was my guess salexander

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2011