How would you handle this..if at all? Sorry kind of long.

We live on a very ethnically diverse street. We are white, down the block a bit are several Mexicans, some of whom speak little English, and we also have African Americans. This is nice for our kids ages 4 and 5 as they don't live in an all white world so they won't be going to all white schools etc...they are learning that we all have different ways, but in the end we are the same. Having said that; One family in particular (African American) is a Granny who has custody of her two grand daughters in their late teens. She also has custody of a young grand daughter who is also my sons age about 6. She is the sweetest girl you could meet. We took her with us over Memorial Weekend to my sis in laws house for a cook out. Our little ones play with her every day.

BUT, these girls dead beat dad also lives with granny and the girls. He has been unemployed for the 4 yrs we have known him. He spends his day walking up and down the block drinking and smoking and talking with other unemployed people that live near us. Well, live and let live, but he is constantly making remarks to me and my family young and old(we have 5 kids total) that it "must be nice to be the rich white people on the block" We are far from rich...or we wouldn't live where we do. Old homes, not the greatest school systems, you get the idea. My problem is that I try so hard to raise my kids to be accepting of others for who they are, not their color, and certainly not what they have or don't have.

Granted, we do have nice cars, a boat, a pool, and a nice play-scape for the kids. We always have kids from the block in our yard and love it.  That is what the stuff is there for, and we know where our kids are.

The only reason we have these things is because we work our asses off and live in a home that is cheap to afford, due to location. Last weekend this person bought a used pool from someone..a beat up piece of crap with holes in it.

I work for a pool installer and he came to ask some installation advice. I gave it to him willingly and offered to get him things he may need at cost. The Friday before, we had a new liner put in our pool, by the crew I work for. So, he gets done asking his questions and then makes a crack about rich white folks having others do the work for them rather than doing it themselves. My DH promptly explained it had nothing to do with rich and everything to do with luck, as I work in the pool industry, so we got a deal. At first I would blow him off, but it is becoming increasingly often that he makes these remarks. Should I say something? If so what?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 3:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I'd just avoid him at all cost. Anything you say may just be turned around on you.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• That is has mindset, you explaining things is not going to make him see your way. some people make excuses for their failure. I woud judt ignore the remarks.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• *just*
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Avoid him, he will not change.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Just let him keep making his remarks. Try not to let them bother you
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• sounds like the kind of person that sees what you have and assumes that is who you are. He doesnt seem like the kind of person that if you did explain anything to him, he wouldnt really care. You can say the most rudest eye awaking crap to him like "you dont have a job but we do, thats the difference between us and that is how we can afford THIS!" and he still wouldnt care, his remarks will always be there and will be made, i guess if i were you, next time he says something i would say "that is right!" make sure you agree with him, maybe he'll get irritated enough to stop.

americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2011