Can lack of sleep stop you from losing weight?

Hey Ladies,
I've been trying to lose weight, but it's not happening. I've been exercising, drinking tons of water, and eating better. The only thing that I can think of is that I go to bed super late, between 12-2am. Any tips to help me lose weight?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I am not sure if it prevents you from losing weight. However, I know that when you are tired or suffering from lack of sleep you tend to eat more because your body is searching for a way to regain energy/strength. Just something to consider! Try and get some more sleep :) and good luck on your weight loss journey!
    LoloMama6

Answer by LoloMama6 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I do believe not enough sleep can interfere with weight loss. I can't remember the reason, I think it's something hormonal, but if you're doing everything else right and it's not working then try to get more sleep and you'll probably see results. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Yes it absolutely can interfere with weight loss because lack of sleep directly affects metabolism.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• no, if anything it gives me a boost, i dont think so. the brought this question on the doctors the other day and they said u should use resistance training for when u hit a plateau. start slow and continue from there.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• actually you burn about 500 calories in your sleep and a lack of sleep slows metabolism so yes a lack of sleep will hinder weight loss
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Thanks Ladies!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Sleep can be a major factor. You should try to get to sleep earlier if you can. Tray mixing up your exercise routine as well to give your body a little shock, which may help break through that plateau. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Inadequate sleep can make it harder to lose weight. Ask any shift worker (or health care providers that care for them) -- staying up late messes with circadian rhythms and hormonal balance. Make sure you aren't being to calorically restrictive -- too much calorie restriction can cause plateaus. For most women, this would be 800 to 1100 kcals. If you are working out, kcals should be more like 1300-1700 range for most women, depending on age and other factors. Good luck.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 10:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I agree, hormones do play a part in losing weight. Hormones also play a roll in insomnia. Maybe you're hormones are kicking at the same time just coincidentally? Good luck!
    GinaD1

Answer by GinaD1 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2011