What is your teenage girls summer schedule like?

I have two teenage daughters (almost 16 and 14). Curfew, sleepovers, chores, reading, babysitting siblings, computer usage, bedtime, etc.? I want to have some structure, but then again, let them have some freedom and fun because it is summer. I'm concerned about working 3 days a week and the girls being too idle. Any advice??

Frankie64

Asked by Frankie64 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My daughter is about to turn 14 and will be a freshman next year. She attends musical theater camp from 9-1 Monday thru Thursday. It starts the last week of June and runs through the first week of August. She is not out of school until June 20th. I like the camp because it gets her up and dressed. If it wasn't for the camp she would sleep till mid morning then she would get on the computer and would likely not be dressed til the afternoon. I am not as strict about sleepovers in the summer, but she will have only Thursday, Friday or Saturday for that due to camp. I know that teens work hard in school all year and are entitled to some down time, but laying around the house all day is not good. Ask your daughter what she wants to do, but tell her she needs to do something.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• 16 yr dd...
    1st week - open... she can have a sleep over or two, she is going to the fair.
    2nd week & 1/2 3rd week - family vaca
    4 week - work mornings... free in afternoons, no sleep overs sun-thr cause of work
    5 week - vaca w/ friends
    6 week - vaca w/ family
    7th week - volunteer job
    8-10 week - work mornings
    Anonymous

• I would not leave girls that age alone during the day during the summer.... just NOT a good idea. Too much freedom and temptation. I would find camps or volunteer jobs for them on your working days.

Anonymous

• Don't forget about signing them up for volunteer programs in your community. It looks great for college application and will do wonderful things for your girls. The right program. Volunteer programs love teens to help out and they keep them busy. They make other friends and learn new skills and things. It's a real plus. My daughter also took Tae Kwon Do for fun and got alot more out of it than she thought. It helped her confidence for one thing. I kept a set bedtime or teens tend to stay up til wee hours and then want to sleep way to late and their day is gone. You almost 16yo is old enough to work (with a permit) probably and she would earn money all summer. Unless you need her for babysitting, then that wouldn't work. Other than that...??
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 3:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2011